Results 1 to 13 of 13
  1. #1
    menace3054
    Guest
    Program that searches for and removes files that uninstalled progs leave behind
    are there any programs that find and delete unneeded files?

  2. #2

    witeshark's Avatar
    Member Since
    Mar 09, 2004
    Location
    Miami FL
    Posts
    2,860
    Specs:
    G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7
    If you delete by dragging to trash and secure empty trash after, there are no such files traces like there may be in the registry in windows

  3. #3
    menace3054
    Guest
    alrighty, thanks for quick reply

  4. #4
    Mr.Curlynose1
    Guest
    There are .plists, but those are very small.

  5. #5


    Member Since
    Mar 30, 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    4,744
    Specs:
    12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    If you delete by dragging to trash and secure empty trash after, there are no such files traces like there may be in the registry in windows
    Just a regular Empty Trash is fine, unless you're paranoid about the FBI reading your preference files...

  6. #6

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Quote Originally Posted by witeshark
    If you delete by dragging to trash and secure empty trash after, there are no such files traces like there may be in the registry in windows
    I'm sorry but what on EARTH did that have to do with his question? He was asking if there was any program that would seek out unneeded files that uninstalled programs leave behind.
    Roger Michaels
    Apple Certified Consultant

  7. #7
    tariq
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Osiris22x
    I'm sorry but what on EARTH did that have to do with his question? He was asking if there was any program that would seek out unneeded files that uninstalled programs leave behind.
    Uh, he was merely pointing out that there is no need for left-over file seeking programs because unlike Windows, moving the folder to the trash removes 99.9% of the related files (as you probably know).

    How is that not relevant to the original post?

  8. #8
    SogniX
    Guest
    There isn't?
    So why - when I uninstall demo programs, then later decide to try a new version - it says "Sorry, Demo expired", when I had manually looked through all areas to find everything with the name of that demo? There's obviously something still left behind.

    And I HATE when things leave their trash on my drive - I Don't care how small that trash may be!

    THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME SORT OF UNINSTALLER THAT CLEANS UP THE CRAP AFTER AN APP HAS BEEN REMOVED!

    Sorry, but that's my main pet peeve on Mac! (not saying that Windows is any better... but still!!!).

    The best I've been able to find is Aladdin's Clean Sweep... altho it's an old version (like 3 versions old now?) that came with Norton System Works (old version too)... thinking of buying the new version of Clean Sweep ($50 I think).
    http://www.aladdinsys.com/mac/springcleaning/

    HTH

  9. #9
    tariq
    Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogni
    There isn't?
    So why - when I uninstall demo programs, then later decide to try a new version - it says "Sorry, Demo expired", when I had manually looked through all areas to find everything with the name of that demo? There's obviously something still left behind.
    Thats the whole point, to stop peoeple from just reinstalling the software and never having to pay the developer. It's not called a demo for nothing. If you've already tried deleting the plist, they probably put the file somewhere sneaky.

  10. #10
    SogniX
    Guest
    For same version of the demo I understand... but when NEW versions come out they should reset the demo time so - forwhatever reason the previous version didn't convince me to buy it - maybe the new one will!

    For example, based on a Demo - I've submitted bug reports / feature requests that I would love to see in certain apps, but if the bug fixes or feature requests don't happen I don't want to spend the $.

    And that was only an example. I'm also talking about non-demo apps and other misc stuff I want to get rid of.

    Speaking of which... just purchased an upgrade for Spring Cleaning for $20! Sweet!
    THANK YOU ALADDIN!!! heh
    Waiting for the download to finish.

  11. #11

    schweb's Avatar
    Member Since
    Oct 27, 2002
    Location
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Posts
    13,190
    Specs:
    MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Sogni
    The best I've been able to find is Aladdin's Clean Sweep... altho it's an old version (like 3 versions old now?) that came with Norton System Works (old version too)... thinking of buying the new version of Clean Sweep ($50 I think).
    http://www.aladdinsys.com/mac/springcleaning/
    HTH
    Let us know what you think of the new version. I've never used Clean Sweep, but I've been thinking of getting it if it's good. I'd be interested to hear your experience.
    schweb | community leader
    flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

    Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr


  12. #12

    Osiris22x's Avatar
    Member Since
    Feb 25, 2004
    Location
    Portland, OR
    Posts
    475
    Specs:
    15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)
    Quote Originally Posted by tariq
    Uh, he was merely pointing out that there is no need for left-over file seeking programs because unlike Windows, moving the folder to the trash removes 99.9% of the related files (as you probably know).

    How is that not relevant to the original post?
    It's irrelevant because we all know that when you drag a program or folder to the trash, there are still files lurking around in the system like plists and whatnot, that get left behind. Hence the point of this entire thread.

    Doing a "secure empty trash" has absolutely nothing to do with finding orphan files.

    Once again, whiteshark baffles the mind.
    Roger Michaels
    Apple Certified Consultant

  13. #13

    rman's Avatar
    Member Since
    Dec 24, 2002
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    12,584
    Specs:
    2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi
    Cool
    I like Sogni, would like to get rid of the so called hidden files. I don't want to wipe my disk clean just to get rid of them. I look in the usual places; both preferences directories, both Libraries directories,
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Program apparently uninstalled but still running
    By gobiwaq in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 05-13-2008, 08:01 AM
  2. Software that removes ._ files
    By higginsdj in forum Switcher Hangout
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 07:38 PM
  3. How to REALLY make sure a program is TOTALLY uninstalled?
    By NJRonbo in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 06-02-2007, 04:46 AM
  4. Program to erase files deleting programs leave behind?
    By menace3054 in forum OS X - Apps and Games
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 02-03-2005, 08:25 PM
  5. Uninstall program, is it really uninstalled?
    By code777 in forum OS X - Operating System
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 11-10-2004, 07:12 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •