New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Program that searches for and removes files that uninstalled progs leave behind

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

menace3054

are there any programs that find and delete unneeded files?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

If you delete by dragging to trash and secure empty trash after, there are no such files traces like there may be in the registry in windows
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

alrighty, thanks for quick reply
QUOTE Thanks
Mr.Curlynose1

There are .plists, but those are very small.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
If you delete by dragging to trash and secure empty trash after, there are no such files traces like there may be in the registry in windows
Just a regular Empty Trash is fine, unless you're paranoid about the FBI reading your preference files...
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
I'm sorry but what on EARTH did that have to do with his question? He was asking if there was any program that would seek out unneeded files that uninstalled programs leave behind.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
I'm sorry but what on EARTH did that have to do with his question? He was asking if there was any program that would seek out unneeded files that uninstalled programs leave behind.
Uh, he was merely pointing out that there is no need for left-over file seeking programs because unlike Windows, moving the folder to the trash removes 99.9% of the related files (as you probably know).

How is that not relevant to the original post?
QUOTE Thanks
SogniX

There isn't?
So why - when I uninstall demo programs, then later decide to try a new version - it says "Sorry, Demo expired", when I had manually looked through all areas to find everything with the name of that demo? There's obviously something still left behind.

And I HATE when things leave their trash on my drive - I Don't care how small that trash may be!

THERE NEEDS TO BE SOME SORT OF UNINSTALLER THAT CLEANS UP THE CRAP AFTER AN APP HAS BEEN REMOVED!

Sorry, but that's my main pet peeve on Mac! (not saying that Windows is any better... but still!!!).

The best I've been able to find is Aladdin's Clean Sweep... altho it's an old version (like 3 versions old now?) that came with Norton System Works (old version too)... thinking of buying the new version of Clean Sweep ($50 I think).
http://www.aladdinsys.com/mac/springcleaning/

HTH
QUOTE Thanks
tariq

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogni
There isn't?
So why - when I uninstall demo programs, then later decide to try a new version - it says "Sorry, Demo expired", when I had manually looked through all areas to find everything with the name of that demo? There's obviously something still left behind.
Thats the whole point, to stop peoeple from just reinstalling the software and never having to pay the developer. It's not called a demo for nothing. If you've already tried deleting the plist, they probably put the file somewhere sneaky.
QUOTE Thanks
SogniX

For same version of the demo I understand... but when NEW versions come out they should reset the demo time so - forwhatever reason the previous version didn't convince me to buy it - maybe the new one will!

For example, based on a Demo - I've submitted bug reports / feature requests that I would love to see in certain apps, but if the bug fixes or feature requests don't happen I don't want to spend the $.

And that was only an example. I'm also talking about non-demo apps and other misc stuff I want to get rid of.

Speaking of which... just purchased an upgrade for Spring Cleaning for $20! Sweet!
THANK YOU ALADDIN!!! heh
Waiting for the download to finish.
QUOTE Thanks
schweb

schweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond reputeschweb has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro | LED Cinema Display | iPhone 4 | iPad 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sogni
The best I've been able to find is Aladdin's Clean Sweep... altho it's an old version (like 3 versions old now?) that came with Norton System Works (old version too)... thinking of buying the new version of Clean Sweep ($50 I think).
http://www.aladdinsys.com/mac/springcleaning/
HTH
Let us know what you think of the new version. I've never used Clean Sweep, but I've been thinking of getting it if it's good. I'd be interested to hear your experience.

schweb | community leader
flickr facebook twitter tumblr google+ about.me

Mac-Forums: On Twitter | On Facebook | On Flickr

QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tariq
Uh, he was merely pointing out that there is no need for left-over file seeking programs because unlike Windows, moving the folder to the trash removes 99.9% of the related files (as you probably know).

How is that not relevant to the original post?
It's irrelevant because we all know that when you drag a program or folder to the trash, there are still files lurking around in the system like plists and whatnot, that get left behind. Hence the point of this entire thread.

Doing a "secure empty trash" has absolutely nothing to do with finding orphan files.

Once again, whiteshark baffles the mind.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I like Sogni, would like to get rid of the so called hidden files. I don't want to wipe my disk clean just to get rid of them. I look in the usual places; both preferences directories, both Libraries directories,

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Why is this slow? | Retreiving Mac files on a PC CD »