New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Help..How to connect wirelessly with an Access Point?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

mec

hi everyone,

I used to have a pc notebook and have wireless connection at home.. now I am using a powerbook and I could not configure my wireless lan. I connected my cablemodem to my access point and did the configurations on macosx (panther). I turned on the airport and it saw my network. But it did not connect me to the internet. it says :

'Airport is connected to the network. Airport has a self assigned IP address and may not be able to connect to the internet'

is that problem because of my access point? cant it connect to the internet without apples airport system? My AP works fine I dont wanna change it
I just wondered where the problem is and may there is solution with a software? any idea?

Thanks..
QUOTE Thanks
Tangerine

do you have cable or dsl? if you have cable then you may need an additional ip address
QUOTE Thanks
mec

I have a cable internet connection.. not DSL.. so what I must do?
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

First of all, make sure your cable modem is plugged into the "WAN" port of your router. Make sure you have a link light on both ends.

Second, after you connect, ping your router (usually 192.168.1.1) to see if you're even connecting.

It sounds like you're not, if the OS is warning you that it's using a self-assigned address. I'm guessing your router's DHCP isn't turned on. You can always try assigning a static IP address to your Mac.

If none of this makes any sense to you, then go to the router's website and read the directions from scratch.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
pedXing

Dude...you have an access point. If you want a network, somewhere you HAVE to have a router. I suggest you get a wired router. You can connect an access point to the router, not to the modem.
QUOTE Thanks
mec

Thansk everyone.. I am planning to buy an adsl modem with router.. then I think I wont have a proble with it.. Thanks again..
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« previous generation powerbooks? | closed screen - space »