New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Was thinking about getting an ibook, need help.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

freddiecarr

Hey Guys,

I'm new to all these mac stuff, have always used a pc, but I have decided I wanna get an ibook, mainly cos they look so cool, and can do everything I want it to do.

I'm mainly gonna be using it for surfing the net, watching dvds, copying dvds, composing music on it using a keyboard and running office 2004 as well.

Anyway this is what I was gonna go for:

14inch ibook
1.2ghz
60gb hard drive
bluetooth
superdrive.
airport express

I was also thinking about maxing out the ram to 1.25gb, but do I really need so much ram for what i'm going to do with the ibook?

Even on student prices, 1.25 gb of ram is about 250 more than 768mb of ram.

What do you guys reackon, your help will be greatly appreciated. Shall I max out the ram or just go for 768mb?

Cheers.

Freddie
QUOTE Thanks
Avalon

Avalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really niceAvalon is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerMac G5 Dual 2GHz (June 2004), 2.5GB, Airport, black 5G iPod 30GB, white MacBook 2.0 2GB

To get 1.25GB in an iBook, you need a 1GB module, as it comes with 256MB soldered on board.

But for your needs, I'd say 768MB is plenty.

More is always better, especially in the case of memory, but it's also a budget question...
QUOTE Thanks
michaelcm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon
To get 1.25GB in an iBook, you need a 1GB module, as it comes with 256MB soldered on board.

But for your needs, I'd say 768MB is plenty.

More is always better, especially in the case of memory, but it's also a budget question...
I would say 512 is pleanty but I guess its up to you because I just looked at how much it costs to have your computer(i typed in a college)and it would be1750 to get all that with 768.so I guess your either rich or you work your *** of.
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

Not trying to steer you away from iBook, but you might also want to consider the 12" PowerBook just in case. Here's something to think about.

- 14" iBook has resolution of 1024x768, same as 12" screen. The fonts are larger, that's all.
- 14" iBook with Superdrive option costs $1700.
- 12" Powerbook with Superdrive costs $1800. But it also comes with Airport Extreme and Bluetooth built in. Plus the CPU is slightly faster.
- 12" Powerbook is lighter than 14" iBook by 1 lbs.

I have both iBook and Powerbook. I love them both. I think iBook is best with 12" form factor though.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth Mouse for 12" Ibook - rec's pls! | New IBook »