New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My girlfriends ibook is running kinda slow

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

menace3054

my gf has a 12" 800 mhz, 368mb ram, 30gb hd ibook g4. in one of her classes today, she used her ibook while the rest of the class used gateway laptops. they arent that new, presumably p3m processors. with standard ram. she said when they were running excel, and doing calculations, the gateways were much faster than her ibook. she said the ibook took forever to calc. stuff. is that normal? or what could be wrong.. shes only had the laptop for 3 weeks
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

What OS is she running? Have repair permissions and crons (Mac janitor) been run rightly?
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
What OS is she running? Have repair permissions and crons (Mac janitor) been run rightly?
Just curious How do i run those on my ibook? ive seen them posted but that was before i got it and im not sure how to do it now.
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

she has the newest version of panther. i ran mac janitor and repaired permissions 1x weekly, most recently yesterday. she said the laptops our school *u of a* uses, are kinda old and crappy. she said it was slow during the fill down command, calculating 5000 or so entries. but she said the gateways did it a lot faster
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Make sure to log off and log back on. Finder > Applications >Utilities > Terminal. There type sudo sh /etc/daily and so on (weekly, monthly) Repair permissions is Finder > Applications > Utilities Disk Utility Select volume click repair permissions
QUOTE Thanks
vuschejan

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

Quote:
Originally Posted by witeshark
Make sure to log off and log back on. Finder > Applications >Utilities > Terminal. There type sudo sh /etc/daily and so on (weekly, monthly) Repair permissions is Finder > Applications > Utilities Disk Utility Select volume click repair permissions
I Went into terminal and typed sudo sh/etc/daily and it said command not found. well, first it gave me a lecture about respecting other's privacy, and think before you type. anyway. what am i doing wrong? thx
QUOTE Thanks
menace3054

nm, i forgot a space between sh and /
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by menace3054
I Went into terminal and typed sudo sh/etc/daily and it said command not found. well, first it gave me a lecture about respecting other's privacy, and think before you type. anyway. what am i doing wrong? thx
No need to do this if you've already run all of the scripts in MacJanitor and repaired the disk permissions, as you said you had. The problem may just be that that particular function of Excel doesn't run as quickly or efficiently in the Mac version of Excel as it does in the Windows version. Also, is she using the latest Office Mac version? I don't know whether any speed improvements have been made in the latest edition, but perhaps they have.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

Witeshark,

I've noticed you are recommending "repair permission" a lot. I'm sure repairing permission will fix many problems resulting from corruption, but is there any evidence that it will actually speed up the computer as the original poster was asking?
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I've noticed speed increases.

DO NOT USE ONYX IT MADE MY COMPUTER SLOW!!
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
DO NOT USE ONYX IT MADE MY COMPUTER SLOW!!
Can you elaborate on this, Zero? I use OnyX regularly, and haven't noticed any problems. I'm wondering how/why it affected yours?

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Quote:
Repair crons & permissions??
To date, i've never done this. Whitshark, is there anything you really know about your computer apart from "repair permissions and crons"... I bet you was the kid using the PC that manually edited the registry deleting and modifying it; only to cause more errors. Then you blame Windows for the problems.

*initialize Whitshark's registry and upgrades ameba for hydra*

Sometimes corrupted files will cause you slow downs, it's more lightly to be heat related. Try restarting your system, removing any Memory Module you have added recently. Faulty hardware could be your other reason.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Another thing you might want to investigate is whether her Energy Saver settings had the processor set to "Reduced Performance" or not. This would have a significant effect on the speed of the machine during processor-intensive tasks. In the future, she may also want to invest in a some additional RAM, but I doubt that was part of the problem in this case.

QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

Permissions can be surprisingly important, and crons help conserve space. hype.it: YUP I cruised REGEDIT alot, but always came out successful. My first ever pc was a wintel95 and the MSN desktop inbox couldn't be deleted, until I found out it's registry key! :p
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« External DVD burner | TV on PowerBook??? »