New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - HELP !!! My baby brother accidentally spilled acetone on my WHITE MACBOOK !!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

crh37

crh37 is on a distinguished road

( ( ( Guys, pleasseeee help me out. I'm dying over here . I left my Macbook on and was out the room for about 3 minutes. When I came back, my brother was scraping the surface of the area near the Macbook trackpad, right next to him the lid of the acetone bottle slid off, liquid pouring out. I was literally screaming out loud while trying to restrain myself from not slitting my own throat since I was the one who placed the acetone bottle so within the reach of my brother.
So my 4 month old White macbook is totally ruined. Ruined. The part of my macbook on the two sides of the trackpad is peeling off like my own skin often does when the dry season hits. No, much much worse than that. All I know now is that I want to change the case or at least the ruined part ASAP. Is it possible for me to contact Apple and require such service? I'm willing to spend some extra bucks if they can revert my White Macbook back to its once pristine appearance. And how much do you think it would cost? I'm seriously thinking about changing the color to black if the case replacement theory is feasible. Please tell me there's sth I can do !!
QUOTE Thanks
knightlie

knightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really niceknightlie is just really nice
Mac Specs: Lenovo Z560 Hackintosh -:- '06 iMac -:- iPod Touch 2ndGen

I think you need to speak to Apple rather than us.

[URL="http://beadia.net"]Beadia[/URL - Jewelry Business Management Software]
I judge you when you use poor grammar.
QUOTE Thanks
hexonxonx

hexonxonx will become famous soon enough

What is acetone and WHY is it within your baby brothers reach?

20" iMac aluminum
13" MBP
3 iPhones
QUOTE Thanks
MacHeadCase

Good point!... Acetone.

It will melt the MacBook finish. I would imagine Apple can't do anything as this is an accident, not a manufacturing defect.
QUOTE Thanks
mathogre

mathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant futuremathogre has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: White MacBook Intel C2D 2.2GHz, 2G, 250G, SD, Leopard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hexonxonx View Post
What is acetone and WHY is it within your baby brothers reach?
First part: It's finger nail polish remover. Update: Well doh, MHC's link already said that. -_^

Second part: She (he?) will have to answer that.

Evil Math Ogre Kgh-Ra
Integrate me. Differentiate me.
You can't hurt me. I'm e^x. Ha ha ha!

Homepage | Gallery
I was on the M-F honor roll for July 2007.
QUOTE Thanks
bigmof

bigmof is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook with Leopard! YAY!

I think the smell might give it away...
QUOTE Thanks
carsncars

carsncars is on a distinguished road

You might be able to pay Apple to replace the top case assembly (keyboard/palm rest/touchpad) but it definitely won't be covered under warranty. Do you have an Apple store nearby you could bring it to?
QUOTE Thanks
crh37

crh37 is on a distinguished road

Thank all of you out there so much . As I'm living outside of the US, and I'm not ready for some ascending in this month's phone bill, the support numbers on the Apple site just don't do me any good, yet. I just need someone to confirm that this is not the permanent state of my white, but not really white anymore now, macbook .
My brother was playing around in my bedroom; I placed my macbook on the table and the nail polish remover which is acetone was only a few steps away . My friend was there earlier and probably had taken the bottle out of its place and left it on the table instead. Because the bottle was white and really tiny, I didn't pay much attention to it until...
I'll be in Wallingford, CT in September. I think there is some store within the area . I'm not counting on this incident to be covered under warranty for it's obviously my own fault. I just hope, as carsncars said, Apple can charge me the extra bucks to replace the top assembly...
QUOTE Thanks
smurfy

smurfy can only hope to improve
Mac Specs: 20" iMac Core 2 Duo 2.16Ghz, 500GB HDD, 1GB RAM, 128MB ATI Radeon X1600

If that happened to my MacBook (or if I had one) then I would take the hard drive out right away in case I lost all my data.
QUOTE Thanks
sanity1082

sanity1082 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: macbook/iphone/ipod nano/ipod shuffle

Being a CT resident my self there are 3 apple stores in CT, one in Stamford (stamford mall) Danbury (Danbury fair mall) and Farmington (westfarms mall) I have only been to the one in Danbury the staff there was very helpful
QUOTE Thanks
BlackSheep

BlackSheep is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano

Try MacService. They have all the Macbook cases but they are pricey.
QUOTE Thanks
rogerinlondon

rogerinlondon will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacPro 2,66GHz 10GB RAM NV 8800GT Cinema 30" * MBP 15" Glossy 2.33 GHz 2 Duo 3GB RAM 160GB HD

Check out your household insurance. This sort of thing would normally be covered so it will at least cost you a bit less to fix it.
QUOTE Thanks
Chambers

Chambers is an unknown at this point

If that happened to me, I'd just repaint the case myself. thinking of painting the cover on my powerbook soon. its a bit scratched see.
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chambers View Post
If that happened to me, I'd just repaint the case myself. thinking of painting the cover on my powerbook soon. its a bit scratched see.
Acetone is corrosive to plastic, so painting it isn't exactly a solution as that the acetone will cause the plastic to "melt" and deform.

I don't think that it would do anything to destroy the drive from the description the OP gave. If it was that massive of a spill, it would have been "OMG, my MBP won't even turn on because an acetone based substance spilled all over it and seeped down into the mother board where it melted everything and destroyed it." Even then, I don't think it would have done much to an enclosed drive that's made of metal.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
nick/chuck

nick/chuck is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.0ghz 3gb Ram C2D Black Macbook

post a picture of the macbook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« PowerBook Wallstreet G3 | where to upgrade your HD, anyhelp? »