New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Macbook+Wiped Hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

raffta

raffta is on a distinguished road

Hello all,

My first post. I've searched in the forums, but seem unable to find a solution to my problem. My fiance's macbook loads only to a flashing question mark.

It will not load in single user mode.

I firewired it to my macbook to retrieve data and it does not mount and disk utility does not see it.

I inserted the Mac install disk, held down option, and the only option is the install disk. I try to install OS X and there is no drive available.

I'm totally perplexed. No drive to correct, no drive to re-install. The system profiler does not recognize the drive either.

My fiance is not aware of how this occured. Her last action was to download Flash and install it. I'm wondering if the directory may have been compromised somehow, but I don't know how.

Thanks for your advice!

Best regards, Raff
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Try putting the OS X install disc in the drive, and Reboot while holding "C".
That should boot to the CD, and allow you to re-install...
QUOTE Thanks
raffta

raffta is on a distinguished road

I tried. There is no destination volume to select.
QUOTE Thanks
Austin

Austin is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro, 15-inch, 2.2GHz 2gb RAM 15-inch Widescreen

possibly your hard drive died. like totally dead.

Windows fanboy gone Mac. Switching as soon as leopard launches. Can't wait for my macbook pro!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« bluetooth not available/applecare | Macbook vs. Macbook Pro »