New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - lombard freezes when inserting pcmcia-firewirecard

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

joe_cool

joe_cool is on a distinguished road

hi
I ve got a lombard g3 333 MHz w/ 256 megs RAM, running on X.3.9 which I havent used for like six months but which i want to reactivate now. I ve got a noname IEEE1394 pcmcia card which has always worked just fine (until very recently), I needed it for my 1st gen. ipod. Everything else (cept for the batterie) is working just fine, no problems whatsoever but when I now insert the card the whole computer just freezes immediatly. when I pull it out again, everything's back to normal and the pcmcia symbol appears in the menu (but nothing happens when I click it, obviously, as there is no card inserted anymore).
now comes the funny bit: when I reinsert it, the computer freezes again but if I dont pull it out the whole thing just shuts down or, well, turns the power off.
the computer freezes (and sometimes gets a kernelpanic) also when the card is inserted during any segment of the startup-process and it doesn't go past the grey screen w/ the dark grey apple logo when inserted before startup.
now, has anyone got an idea what might cause this strange behaviour? i'd appreciate every kind of help....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MBP is not level at Optical Drive corner (rocks back and forth) | Help! »