New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - My fans never turn on!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Glenners

Glenners is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd

Hi, I've installed istat recently and my cpu gets up to 60 degrees celcius. The other thing is istat says my fans aren't even running! I installed fan control but it gives me an error and won't launch. Does anyone know why my cpu is getting up to 60 degrees celcius and the fans don't turn on? It usually gets this hot when it has been sitting on my couch or bed for a while, it still gets hot while on hard surfaces though.

"Come on big operating system, big operating system!" - PC
QUOTE Thanks
Glenners

Glenners is an unknown at this point
Mac Specs: 14" ibook g4, 1.42ghz. 512mb ram, 60gb hdd

Alright people thanks for the help. I've made a reservation at the genius bar near me (in another country actually!) so hopefully I'll get this figured out.

"Come on big operating system, big operating system!" - PC
QUOTE Thanks
halo200

halo200 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Macbook Pro 2.0Ghz i7 8GB AMD 6490M 256OCZ Vertex 4 SSD | iPhone 5S 16GB

I have the same iBook as you the 1.42Ghz model and my fan doesn't come on until around 68 degrees C and that is pretty hot, but the only way that it really gets that high is when Im converting videos or something processor intensive, I use menutemperature to monitor my temp, it sits in the top menu bar and on average use it gets around 50~55 but I never thought my fans were working so when I install menutemp, I went into itunes and ran the visualizer untill the fans come on. If you have the hard ware test for your ibook, run that to make sure your fans are actually running and then try this.
QUOTE Thanks
gdrawlinson

gdrawlinson is on a distinguished road

I know this is an old post but maybe i can get help, i am having the same problem, ibook G4 fan not working at all, i took my mac apart thinking it was dirty or something, it looked brand new, there wasnt even a spec of dust on it, istat says its running at 0rpm...... is my fan dead or what? any way to test it?
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdrawlinson View Post
I know this is an old post but maybe i can get help, i am having the same problem, ibook G4 fan not working at all, i took my mac apart thinking it was dirty or something, it looked brand new, there wasnt even a spec of dust on it, istat says its running at 0rpm...... is my fan dead or what? any way to test it?
If it isn't hot enough, then it simply won't turn on. No need to tear it apart and check it. When I had an iBook G4 the fan only came on once in the almost two years I had it.

Also, iStat is horrendously inaccurate in several of its 'monitors'.
Don't pay too much attention to it and certainly don't obsess over its readings.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
gdrawlinson

gdrawlinson is on a distinguished road

found a fan control program on MacUpdate, my fan seems to run fine, just not sure why it get so hot
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« MacBook Parts Measurements | charger or battery problem...? »