New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MacBook vs MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Jero

Jero is on a distinguished road

I've decided to go with a Mac as my new laptop, but I haven't yet decided to go with either the MacBook or the MacBook Pro.

I use my computer on a daily basis for the standard internet related activities, such as web browsing and IM. However, I'm also a part-time web developer. This means applications such as Adobe Photoshop, multiple browser windows, Apache web server, and I guess Paralles (for testing on Windows) are open almost all the time. I'll also be attending my first year of university this year where I'll also be doing a lot of programming (mainly Java I think).

The thing is, I don't do any gaming on my computer, so I have the feeling the video card will be waste. Therefore I'm not sure if the activities I am doing are worth buying a MacBook Pro for.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

A Macbook with 2 gig of RAM will do everything you posted as well as a Macbook Pro, with the exception of the smaller screen on the Macbook. I have a very nice external screen which I use if I'm going to do any heavy duty Photoshop or audio work, but if it's not available it's not much of a detriment.

What a Pro model will give you is a larger internal screen. For some, this is important. For me, the very convenient portability of the Macbook makes it perfect. I can use the smaller screen (though I use Virtue Desktop to have four 'virtual' separate screens on which I put all my different apps and switch to on-demand) with no issue.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

Since you have no particular use for the video card, then all it really boils down to is personal preference. I would suggest you check out both models in person. I was in a similar position as you and seeing both models first hand really helped me choose one (I chose the Macbook because of the portability and, believe it or not, the keyboard)

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
techmonkey

techmonkey is on a distinguished road

I decided on a MBP. I originally wanted a Black MP, but after some calculations the MBP was definitely worth the extra $300 (in the EDU store). The backlit keyboard, larger screen, speakers on the top, expansion port, and dedicated video card is worth more than $300. Plus, the MBP came with 2GB RAM already.
QUOTE Thanks
Jero

Jero is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the replies! I guess I'll drop by an Apple Store this Saturday to check both models out.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« SuperDrive | Blackberry and MBP's Bluetooth.... »