BzY
    Wireless internet options?
    just curious what kind of options I/we have for wireless internet with Ibook g4's?

Is my ibook g4 airport ready? airport or airport extreme?
    is airport our only options for cards?

Specs:
    20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano
    Your iBook is Airport Extreme ready (Will not work with regular Airport Card)

There are a few other options but they are all external and don't work as well as the Airport Extreme
    Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System

I'm slowly sinking in the posts of Mac-forums
    Specs:
    PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux
    The iBook 12" and middle 14" models will take AirPort Extreme cards. The high end 14" has AirPort built in.
    AirPort is pretty much your only option.

Specs:
    Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2
    "is airport our only options for cards?"

Yep it is, but apart from the price, airport is the same as other wifi options...

you can get external usb airport adapters, but these seem very unpractical for on the go...

HowCreativeInc
    Are there other alternatives to purchasing the Airport Extreme Base Station? I have an iBook with an Airport Extreme card installed. Thanks.

Specs:
    1.6 ghz G5, Dual Monitors / 17" PowerBook 1.33 / 12" iBook
    Quote Originally Posted by HowCreativeInc
    Are there other alternatives to purchasing the Airport Extreme Base Station? I have an iBook with an Airport Extreme card installed. Thanks.
    You can buy any Wi-Fi certified base station. Linksys, Belken and tons of other brands are out there. For ease of setup and use, you can't beat the Airport though.

Jerry

tariq
    I bought a Linksys wireless router to replace my wired D-Link unit and setup took less than 15min. I was quite disappointed the setup was so quick and easy since I like tinkering with things, maybe next time...

HowCreativeInc
    The Base Station has a USB port for printers. Do any of the other options mentioned allow for wireless printing, or will that entail an additional router?

tariq
    There are routers available that have a built in Print Server (using USB or Parallel) which I would assume works the same as the Base Station.

http://www.us.ncix.com/products/inde...anufacture=SMC
    http://www.us.ncix.com/products/inde....S.%20ROBOTICS
    http://www.compuplus.com/insidepage....tch.com&id=831

lsuperguy
    If you don't need a base station right away, you could order an Airport Express...it will support 10 wireless comptuers and has a USB port for printers...oh and of course it has airtunes.

biggyfries
    Hello all. I am a new Mac owner. I recently got a g3/900 14' ibook. i saw this thread, and was wondering if i need the airport extreme card or if i could use the regular airport card. Its not a g4, so do i still need the extreme? i read the manual on the apple site, but that is only for the g4 model.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!

dan

Quote Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
    The iBook 12" and middle 14" models will take AirPort Extreme cards. The high end 14" has AirPort built in.
    AirPort is pretty much your only option.

Specs:
    14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod
    Quote Originally Posted by biggyfries
    Hello all. I am a new Mac owner. I recently got a g3/900 14' ibook. i saw this thread, and was wondering if i need the airport extreme card or if i could use the regular airport card. Its not a g4, so do i still need the extreme? i read the manual on the apple site, but that is only for the g4 model.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!!

dan
    Great choice! I have the exact same model. This machine requires a standard AirPort card, not the Extreme version.
    ~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.

biggyfries
    Quote Originally Posted by Padawan
    Great choice! I have the exact same model. This machine requires a standard AirPort card, not the Extreme version.
    thanks for the help. i am really happy with my purchase. only problem so far, is that i can see my hm ntwrk, but cannot connect to it. i set up sttic, reset the router back to defaults, but nothing. i didnt know if it was the card or not. but, since you put that theory to rest (thank you!!), i will now play around wiht the network some more.

as a side comment: i really like this forum. everyone seems really nice and helpful. thanks to all of those who answer our newbie questions. I have had some questions regarding the hardware and OS (im a win-to-linux switcherin the past year, with a new mac), and just looking thru this site and some ohter forums, i have found most of my questions answered (looking thru the Apple site did not do good for results . )

anyway, thanks!!

dan

Thread Information