New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

ATT: Absolute Zero

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Hey AZ, What you do with your toys? You and them seem suffer more problems and malfunctioning failures than any other use i know... At least when my machines die, they really die!

Well, would your powerbook survive a fall of twenty three floors while in sleep mode? I got myself a nice seventeen inch paperweight...
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

All you have to do is use mine for 5 minutes and theres a problem...
I really don't do much. I mostly chat with Adium, browse with Safari, IRC in X-Chat Aqua, get my mail in... Mail, fool around with iSight, type some crap in Word, and use iTunes, like, a lot. And it dies and I don't push it that hard.

But umm, I love it anyway, its my baby. It is the rev. B of the risen Christ, I'm sure of it.

You dropped your PowerBook... down 23 flights of stairs... how did you manage to do that? Was it in a case? And 17"... my dad says he will buy one for himself (and all he does is buy and play music in iTunes, WASTE!) and give his old 12" to my 6 year old sister... she has an iMac DV and all she does is draw in KidPix or play After Dark Games (mind you, they are clean). Gah he hates me. Yeah I get off subject a lot. Back to the subject.
23 flights of stairs... I'd hate to be your PowerBook.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Do you run repair permissions and crons/Mac janitor?
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
You dropped your PowerBook... down 23 flights of stairs... how did you manage to do that? Was it in a case? And 17"... my dad says he will buy one for himself (and all he does is buy and play music in iTunes, WASTE!) and give his old 12" to my 6 year old sister... she has an iMac DV and all she does is draw in KidPix or play After Dark Games (mind you, they are clean). Gah he hates me. Yeah I get off subject a lot. Back to the subject.
23 flights of stairs... I'd hate to be your PowerBook.
My father dropped it! God don't even knows what he was doing with it. He's computer illiterate. I was coming out the door when he called me....

*shock*
*faints*

I felt my heart dropping 20 floors. The on dismantling the base part... the bit with the keyboard on. I discovered the SuperDrive shattered in Bits... the lid and base, well.. it's in two halves. The screens cracked. The Hard-drive... well it don't work. Logic board looks a little bent, i think some of the traces may of cracked because the case was twisted. Wait till i get a DigiCam, I'll post Pics...

The only thing i manage to selvage was the backlight keyboard and add-on thing, the trackpad, an inverter from the display and maybe some spare screws.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

witeshark: I run repair permissions after software updates, and screw crons, because Mac OS X does them for me at 3-5 AM every day.
hype.it: I'm sorry to hear that.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

LOL! At first I thought witeshark was asking hype.it if he tried running crons and repairing permissions. Maybe it would fix his shattered Powerbook. That's something whiteshark would do.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

I almost lost my computer down the stairs last night. I picked up my pb from my desk (it was already open and on) to go down stairs, started running down the stairs, and....stumble stumble....I stumbled down like four steps before I caught myself..but the pb slightly slipped from my hands...even though I steady my step, if that would've flown out of my hands...it would have been destroyed. Luckily my hands/reactions were extremely quick, and I was able to grip the pb so it wouldn't die.

I would've been screwed if it would have fallen...and I would have been pissed. I don't know what I would have done...but I'd probably still be pretty pissed off about it right now.
QUOTE Thanks
trenollet

Maybe I'll start an insurance company...

I think some of you guys might actually benefit. :-)
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Osiris22x
Maybe it would fix his shattered Powerbook. That's something whiteshark would do.
Oh yeah, anytime someone absolutely shatters a Powerbook, that's what I recommend, and the book reassembles just like that T1000 scene in Terminator 2! Oh, and HP and all other pc makers recommend, oh never mind
QUOTE Thanks
cakman2

If you have homeowners insurance through a creddible company, you should be able to get your PBs replaced. Suprisingly, they will buck up for accidents, but not for normal wear and tear.
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

If you have homeowners insurance through a creddible company, you should be able to get your PBs replaced. Suprisingly, they will buck up for accidents, but not for normal wear and tear.

Looking at your 'location' I take it your in USA. Well, I'm in China... they are not exactly expensive here... A PB17 with SuperDrive clocks in about $1500.

For some reason, if you know the full story I bet you the insurance company won't be giving me a replacement, i think they'll push up my premiums for my next claim! Anyway, it's my father's stupid fault, he paid!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Is the iBook right for me? | Connecting Powerbook to external projector »