New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook - Invisible Shield Review...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

TWM

TWM is on a distinguished road

Well, i have a Macbook and decided that it would be worth the money to protect it. i had a spec see through case and was not to fond of it, so i decided to purchase the Invisible shield. It was pretty expensive, but according to the company, they use this stuff to protect helicopter blades, so i figured it must be good! well, after following the instructions to the "T", the small parts came out quite good, excepts the finish looks like you forgot to remove the clear protection plastic that comes on new electronics. The problem comes when you try to do any of the larger parts of the notebook, such as the screen lit. it is next to impossible to get it straight , and by the time you do get it straight, it is bubbled like crazy and resembles a cheap/do it your self window tint job you see on cars. it looked so bad that the entire Invisible Shield is now in a wrapped up ball in my trash can.

In my opinion, this stuff should stay on helicopter blades, not a good looking computer like an Apple. I think the computer would look better if it were scratched than with this stuff on it. all in all, my wallet is a little lighter and definitely a lesson learned. i just hope this well help someone make a decision on weather or not to purchase his product...
QUOTE Thanks
h00jwr3d

h00jwr3d is on a distinguished road

I have tried this product and it is great! To get it straight use the supplied liquid.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

I've heard only good things about Invisible Shield. Then again, only by people who've used it on small electronics, like iPods and cell phones...

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

I purchased an InvisibleShield last year when I had a 13" white MacBook. Price was average ($54.99 iirc) compared to similar offerings. Superb protection, but it's next to impossible to get the top piece on correctly. It's really hard to get straight and moreso to get the bubbles out. In short, it looks terrible no matter how hard you try. If you are going to attempt it, get another person to help you - you'll need it! I spent well over an hour trying to get mine perfect and did not succeed. I would only recommend getting an InvisibleShield for the wrist area and possibly the bottom.

My recommendation is to purchase a protective case, such as from Techshell, Speck Products, or Macally's Bookshell. You can get them in a variety of colors and they offer even better protection since they're a plastic shell instead of a film. InvisibleShields are indispensible for small stuff like iPods and cell phones, but for anything larger than a laptop's wrist pad I'd stay away from them. Also, you might want to consider a foam/cloth pad for the wrist area, like from Marware (they have one in their protection pack).

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

i also got it for my cell phone and it did work great.... but applying a big piece the size of the top of the notebook was not working out very well.

I used the supplied liquid. in fact, i bought an extra bottle.

i think it would be good for a cell phone/ ipod/iphone. just not great for a note book. i think it would have worked better if they sold it in sectioned pieces....
QUOTE Thanks
TWM

Spec see through case fits good and works well. and looks ok. much better investment than the invisible shield in y opinion.... i have both...
QUOTE Thanks
Sileighty

Sileighty is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" Macbook: 2.16ghz / 1gb ram / 120gb HD

I put mine on a week after i got it. There's a good trick to putting it on, get another person to help you and put it on slowly from one side to the next.

For the top piece, I had my mom hold up one end while I wet only the bottom part I was going to stick onto the edge, don't wet the whole piece yet as it might dry off and make things harder to realign perfectly.

After you align and stick everything on the side of the panel, get the spray bottle and spray maybe 1/4 of the invisible shield, then take the flat surface of the card and start spreading out all the water from wherever is wet. Keep spraying the inside of the shield as you slowly approach the end of the shield. It's better to just do all the edges at the end, but you'll have to make sure you line it up perfectly.

After that, you're finished. You might have a couple bubbles here and there, but just wait a few days and they all kinda flatten out on its own. It won't be that noticeable so it'll be ok.

Hope it helps someone out.
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sileighty View Post
I put mine on a week after i got it. There's a good trick to putting it on, get another person to help you and put it on slowly from one side to the next.

For the top piece, I had my mom hold up one end while I wet only the bottom part I was going to stick onto the edge, don't wet the whole piece yet as it might dry off and make things harder to realign perfectly.

After you align and stick everything on the side of the panel, get the spray bottle and spray maybe 1/4 of the invisible shield, then take the flat surface of the card and start spreading out all the water from wherever is wet. Keep spraying the inside of the shield as you slowly approach the end of the shield. It's better to just do all the edges at the end, but you'll have to make sure you line it up perfectly.

After that, you're finished. You might have a couple bubbles here and there, but just wait a few days and they all kinda flatten out on its own. It won't be that noticeable so it'll be ok.

Hope it helps someone out.
I would say that 2 people per large application is a requirement, not an option. You won't get it on right if you do it by yourself, period.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
Noxian

Noxian is a jewel in the roughNoxian is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.2ghz, 3GB, 250GB - 16GB White iPhone 3G - 2nd Gen 1GB Shuffle

I recieved shieldzone for my macbook from my ex for a birthday present, she got me the full body shield.

Took us about a hour to put it on, and the first time we put the top piece on there were lots of bubbles and I thought they wouldn't go away so I attempted to pull it off then put it back on ended up getting lint under the shield and end up with just as many bubbles (about the size of a quarter), so I went back to the instructions and read that the bubbles will disappear after a few days. So I left it for a few days and started to notice that the bubbles had begun to disappear. 6 months later there is no sign of any bubbles anywhere.

Overall I am completely satisfied with my sheildzone for my macbook, I even went on to buy my ex one for her iPod Video and DS Lite, I even picked one up for my Sony Ericsson k790a.
QUOTE Thanks
kuchiki

kuchiki has a spectacular aura about

Mine has just arrived and I plan on applying them tonight after giving my macbook a thourough cleaning session
I will post a review probably in a couple of weeks on my blog. For now if anyone is interested I posted unpacking pictures on my blog. Enjoy!

kuchiki

My newly created blog: reviews, sites, giveaways and more! Home of iMountIt
www.daysofourmacbooks.blogspot.com
QUOTE Thanks
gr4ywolf

gr4ywolf is on a distinguished road

See the other post I made regarding installing this. It goes on VERY easy if you use a 4-6 inch rubber window squeegee and do the top section 2-3 inches at a time. Whatever you do, dont take the entire backing off the top cover shield or you will have a cluster (blank) on your hands very quickly!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook works in the freezer? | Apple Payment Plan »