New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Going back a little bit...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

blinkdude182

blinkdude182 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4 Ghz, 2GB RAM

Ok I've had a Black Macbook since last christmas and I didn't worry much about the discoloration problem White Macbook users used to have, but now I gave my old Black Macbook to my mother and got the new White one (better processor 2.16), and I've been searching the web but found nothing...
What I want to know is:
Has Apple fixed this discoloration problem for the new Macbooks or should I be extra careful?? I'm really whiny about having a flawless computer and wouldn't like a beautiful Macbook full of stains.
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheMac

JackTheMac is on a distinguished road

i did hear a rumour that in the new core 2 duo processors dont get stains, apparently.

Why on earth are you getting a new macbook just after 7 months of having one?
QUOTE Thanks
blinkdude182

Well I really hope no discoloration happens here.
As to your question: We went to an Apple Store because my mom wanted a Macbook for work. We asked for info on available models and they only had the White Macbook, 2.16 Intel Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 120 GB HD, Superdrive...I said: Mom!! That's great! It's even better than my black one because it has a new processor!
She said: ****! But I like the black one better and they don't have it!! Tell you what: I´ll buy you the white one with the new processor if you give me your black one.
I said: Ok! Sure!!!!!!!!!!!!

So I got home, used Migration Assistant and worked perfectly, did a clean reinstall on my mom's black macbook, and here I am with a 0.16 ghz faster macbook! I don't know if it'll make much difference though...I do miss my black one a bit That's why I have a new Macbook after only seven months lol!! Lucky me!! Haven't tried BootCamp yet though...I wonder how different will my games run with this processor...if there is any difference.

Anyway, back on topic, if anyone can answer my question, I'd really appreciate it!!
QUOTE Thanks
JackTheMac

JackTheMac is on a distinguished road

lucky you, adopt me !!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
Hustle

Hustle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD

Discolouration is NOT a problem with the Core 2 Duo laptops, however, you get wear and tare signs like shiny areas that have been used a lot. After a few months, you'll notice your trackpad and space bar getting a little shiny from wear, then it spreads.

This happens on both the black and white macbook, so it can't be avoided.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Yeah, shiny is about all you need worry about. No discoloration on my white core 2 duo and I've been using it constantly for 7 months.

Though if you get an external keyboard and mouse, that will slow the shiny build-up process. My wife has the black one and uses it without external stuff, and I've noticed hers get a little shiny-er in places like the trackpad and button. It's not a big deal though. Even with external keyboard/mouse, though, mine is developing shiny spots because at the office I do use the built-in keyboard. No discoloration, however.

Here's another anecdote: A few years ago we had a client in to consult with us regarding work stuff. While we were talking to him (and he was an old, crufty guy who has been in the business for probably longer than I've been alive) he was taking notes on what appeared to be a pretty old (and in this case old means about 3 years old) Powerbook. I'm not even certain it was running OSX, but probably OS 8. That thing looked like it had been to hades and back.

Still worked fine though. Apple builds them very well.
QUOTE Thanks
blinkdude182

Thanks for your replies guys! Good thing I don't need to worry about discoloration! I do know about the shiny spots, and I think they're more noticeable on the black macbooks, also the keyboard is more greasy I think.
I did get surprised when my dad cleaned the black macbook with an anti-static foam...he sprayed it all over the computer...the keyboard, the trackpad, the case, everywhere except the screen, and those shiny spots disappeared! It looked as new! Then he used a screen cleaning spray and got rid of all the finger tips. Off course the shiny spots will come back, but now I've got a new habit and that is cleaning my macbook regularly
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« if my battery goes complety dead... | airport card vs. netgear router »