New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

If I do this,

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

The Giver

If I leave my AIM signed on on my iBook, and I just leave the screen open and let it sleep, is that fine? Or should I just shut down my AIM and close the screen because when I do that, my internet shuts off, and you know, nothing is on then.
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

It doesn't matter; aim automatically signs you off, or says you're away when your computer sleeps

I leave mine on all the time, then just wake the computer up, and I'm right back at it.
QUOTE Thanks
The Giver

When I shut down my screen, my AIM program shuts down totally, like it loses the internet connection, so then when I open the screen, it connects again.. So what do youmean you just shut down your screen and its fine/
QUOTE Thanks
muso

muso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond reputemuso has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Pwnt

If you have a dialup internet connection then yes, it will disconnect when you put the computer to sleep (close the lid). You don't get that problem (well I don't) with broadband. Although I use iChat, not AIM.

I'm in your forums, writing sentences in a grammatically acceptable manner.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Giver
If I leave my AIM signed on on my iBook, and I just leave the screen open and let it sleep, is that fine? Or should I just shut down my AIM and close the screen because when I do that, my internet shuts off, and you know, nothing is on then.
If you want to remain online, leave the lid open, and just adjust your Energy Saver properties so that your display sleeps after 15 min. or so. You don't want the whole computer sleeping, because it will disconnect.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by muso
If you have a dialup internet connection then yes, it will disconnect when you put the computer to sleep (close the lid). You don't get that problem (well I don't) with broadband. Although I use iChat, not AIM.
I'm not sure how you're able to stay connected to iChat with the lid closed. When mine is closed or I manually put the machine to sleep, iChat (and my AirPort connection) disconnects.

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
The Giver

Same with mine, so I don't know how you can close the lid and have it still be online.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
Same with mine, so I don't know how you can close the lid and have it still be online.
As many have said before, you really wouldn't want it to be, even if there was some way around it (there are in fact "hacks" that will prevent the machine from sleeping with the lid closed, but they aren't a good idea).

If you're online, the processor and possibly the HDD are in use, which generates heat. If the lid's closed, you're preventing heat from escaping through the keyboard - a major cooling method on iBooks. Therefore, you want the machine to be either shut down or sleeping while the lid is closed.

QUOTE Thanks
The Giver

So if I just leave the lid open, and let my display sleep, but not my computer sleep, that is fine?
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Quote:
So if I just leave the lid open, and let my display sleep, but not my computer sleep, that is fine?
Yes. I'd also click the box labeled "Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible". If it were me, I would probably give the computer a break every few days anyway just because I like to, but it shouldn't be necessary.

QUOTE Thanks
hotskate

hotskate has a little shameless behaviour in the past
Mac Specs: 15 Macbook Pro, Core 2 Duo, 2.4GHz, 4GB, 160GB HD

SO theres no way to stay online when you shut the lid?
QUOTE Thanks
coach_z

coach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to beholdcoach_z is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: i dont have no mac's

this thread is 2 years old just so everybody knows

there are ways to keep your ibook running when you shut the lid but it is not very good for your ibook to do this, so i will not recommend them
-chris

MoTM honor roll...
when?
i dont remember
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Dead Pismo Screen? Need advice... | Slow down »