New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Does the Powerbook have a built-in microphone?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Nightblade

I'm just curious. I mean, I've seen at least Powerbook before in my lifetime (in real life, I mean) but I didn't bother to look if it had a microphone or not. When I look at them on Apple's website, however, they don't appear to have them. If I'm right and Powerbooks really don't have microphones...Well, that kinda sucks, doesn't it? I mean, you're paying more for it than an iBook, so it should have everything the iBook has plus more. Yes, the Powerbook is lighter, has a better keyboard, can have better speakers, can have a Superdrive, can have bigger screens, can have more Mhz and a few other things as well, but if the iBook and iMac have microphones, shouldn't the Powerbook have them as well? Or do they have microphones and I just can't see them on Apple's website? Can someone verify this for me?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

AFAIK All Macs have a mic -Actually, I know Powerbooks have mic, I talk to a friend on his in iChat AV
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

PowerBook, iBook, iMac, and eMac's have built in mic's. The PowerMac does not. The iSight has a built in mic, too.
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

http://www.apple.com/powerbook/

Hmm, in all of these pics, I can't seem to find a microphone. I mean, on my father's G3 iBook, the microphone is a small circular hole on the right side of the monitor, and I can't seem to find it on the monitor on the Powerbook (unless it's that horizontal rectangular hole at the top, but I doubt it since on my father's iBook it's a hole to allow the hook to close the iBook when it's closed). So, I'm just curious, but where exactly is the microphone on the Powerbook?
QUOTE Thanks
klumick

from what ive been able to find out the microphone on my 15" powerbook is located right next to the option key on the keyboard, it is invisible, but when i tap the laptop when system preferences is open and i go to line in, thats where the strongest sound comes from
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Taken with iSight.

It is located on the top right, above the f1 key.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mic.jpg (13.0 KB, 40 views)
QUOTE Thanks
Nightblade

Wow....Alright, thanks for telling me.
QUOTE Thanks
PowerbookG417

i have the powerbook 17" and the microphones is located on the left hand side of the keyboard under the grate for the speaker. i only know this because with gentil taps on the case i have the most feedback come from that area.
its awesome to record inclass lectures with, convert them to mp3's then load them onto the ipod for easy studyin
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

I have the old 15" (titanium) and it is on the left side in the speaker grille. you can tell when you have the input monitor and you tap the keyboard

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

I have the 12" and it's located in that picture... it's visible.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« how long can i leave my powerbook sleeping for? | Just Got my new Powerbook »