New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - MBP defects for new June 5, 2007+ models?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

FDZero

FDZero is on a distinguished road

Hey all,

I've been a Mac user for past 4 years. I currently have a PowerMac G5 2.0GHZ and love it.

To get to the point, I've searched and searched. I've been checking out the MacBook Pros...specifically the 2.4 GHz versions released June 5, 2007 and later. Now...I read and Googled a lot and noticed there is a list of notable defects to to MBP...but I noticed a lot of the reviews, posts, blogs, etc were dated from 2006...which is the original MBP Intel Core release date time period. However, I did see a few MPB defected posts in 2007 too but I'm curious to know if anyone with a MBP AFTER June 5, 2007 have experienced any problems? I guess what I'm asking is what defects still exist with the recently released MBP as of June 5, 2007 since a year and a half has lapsed since original release? Thanks everyone for reading and any input.

- Tam
QUOTE Thanks
LZLandingZone

LZLandingZone is on a distinguished road

I'll let you know. I ordered mine a week ago. It should be here in the next couple of days. From what I've seen on these forums are just rare kernel panics. Nothing major, if there are defects I'm sure there small and can be fixed easily [at least thats what I hope]
QUOTE Thanks
FDZero

Quote:
Originally Posted by LZLandingZone View Post
I'll let you know. I ordered mine a week ago. It should be here in the next couple of days. From what I've seen on these forums are just rare kernel panics. Nothing major, if there are defects I'm sure there small and can be fixed easily [at least thats what I hope]
Hi.

That's good to hear that hopefully, most of the defects have either been relieved or less of. I just haven't seen any recent updates, comments, or blogs for the June 5+ MBP releases which I'm not sure is a good thing (no probs so not worth noting) or bad thing (defects still exist so not worth noting).
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

Skyrider007 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro (Early 2008) 2.4GHz 4GB RAM running 10.5.4

no problems at all with my 2.4
QUOTE Thanks
frenzy

frenzy is on a distinguished road

i havnt noticed any in mine.... well there are problems, but it isnt exactly a tough book. i could suggest however that apple could make a better warranty comparible to pc companies which have accidet insurance...
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

keep in mind that you could get AppleCare for MBP on eBay for less than $200. That's over $150 worth of saving over Apple recommended retail price.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

i really hope there are no porblems as i am getting a 15" 2.4ghz mbp in august.
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

rest assured you're highly unlikely to encounter any problem with the new MBP unles you've come to face with the rare kernel panic. get applecare before the 1st year warranty expires.
QUOTE Thanks
the caveman

the caveman is on a distinguished road

ihave a problem with my 15 , 2.4 i have a yellow screenand thats very annoying
QUOTE Thanks
Skyrider007

Quote:
Originally Posted by the caveman View Post
ihave a problem with my 15 , 2.4 i have a yellow screenand thats very annoying
have you tried installing the latest firmware update? if not, try using software update.
QUOTE Thanks
FDZero

^

Thanks for everyone's input. Based on these feedbacks for most part, I feel a little better now if I decided to go with the new 17" MBP 2.4GHz. Before as my 2nd option, I was considering just getting a Mac Mini for home use (I use it for internet/e-mails mainly) and just bring my current PowerMac G5 from home to work and use that instead. But I really like to get a MBP because I never had a laptop before...
QUOTE Thanks
jbeals

jbeals is on a distinguished road

I have had a tone of issues with my MBP C2D. Here is a long thread of issues people are having.

http://www.tuaw.com/2007/07/24/os-x-...wifi-problems/

This machine is junk. not to mention when I went to archive and re-install to revert back to 10.4.9 the OS installed errored out and now the machine is useless.
QUOTE Thanks
FDZero

^

It appears that 10.4.10 update applies to some Linksys and all NetGear wireless routers? Hopefully, Apple releases an updated patch...like ASAP for those that are affected by it.
QUOTE Thanks
the caveman

the caveman is on a distinguished road

question so i istalled the efi 1.3 firmware update on my macbookpro 2.4 . and since then i reinstalled os x completely so does the firmware stay there or do i have to reinstall firmware too?
QUOTE Thanks
airwalk331

airwalk331 is on a distinguished road

Hey FDZero. I just baught my first mac. Check out my switching experience here (i purchased a 2.4 17in. decked out macbook pro)- My Switching Experience
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« So What 2GB RAM has everyone around here been getting? | unlocking DVD-zone count »