New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Considering a laptop

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Tek

Tek is on a distinguished road

I'm considering purchasing an, "Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33GHz, 15.4" TFT, 2GB DDR2, 120GB SATA, ATI Mobility Radeon X1600, 6x SuperDrive, Built-in 10/100/1000BASE-T, 54-Mbps Airport Extreme, Bluetooth 2.0+EDR and iSight, OS X v10.4 Tiger," and I'm wondering if I can leave it on for long periods of time without ruining it or it consistently overheating. I've never owned a laptop before and I guess I'm just wondering if it should only be on for a few hours at a time.

Also, if anyone knows how the internet speed ranks on one of these, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks! (:
QUOTE Thanks
Stretch

Stretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud ofStretch has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 15in i7 MacBook Pro, 8GB RAM, 60GB SSD, 500GB HD

You can leave it on as long as you need.

Internet speeds depend on your ISP, not the computer.

Blog and Photo Gallery: http://philolin.me/

Currently running OS X 10.9
QUOTE Thanks
jhartford6

jhartford6 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro - 2.2GHz, 2GB RAM, 128MB 8600M GT

That's the older version of the MacBook Pro...how much are you paying for that?
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

Heat depends on what you're doing and how you're using it. With the screen open I can do anything forever. During "normal use" including things like typing on these forums, using MS Office, or watching videos, I can run mine forever even in closed screen mode. However, if I'm playing some 3D game, I can't run it in closed screen mode without it it getting too hot, but leaving the screen open takes care of that and I can run it forever.

As far as internet speed, it'll take as much as you can feed it.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Tek

Very cool, thanks for the replies. I felt kind of retarded for asking but I'm not only new to laptops but to macs as well. Just want to cover everything before I take the plunge.

And yeah, it's the older version I found for 2,000. I'm still not solid on if I'm going to be getting that one or the latest version but I was debating on saving a few hundred unless the improved specs were worth it.

P.S. Thanks for the gaming reference. I'm not sure that I'm going to game with it much (if at all) but it still gives me a nice ballpark area of what it can handle.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all

Just so you know, you can get that same model, factory refurbished, from www.apple.com for $1900. Click on the store link at the top then look for "special deals" at the bottom right of the page.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Tek

I hope this is alright to post here but I figure I might as well just add on to my already open topic with a new question that has come up.

If buying the MacBook directly from the Apple store, what all do I need to receive the student discount? Is just my student ID enough to have at the time of purchase?

Thanks again.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

Yep, the student ID will be fine.

When I got my MBP, I had just enrolled and didn't have an ID. To prove I was a student, I just logged into my student email account on one of the floor model computers to show the guy in the store I was registered and got the discount. They have some way of verifying your student status later, but as long as you really are a student, an ID, acceptance letter, or even email should be enough to get the discount.

QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Will This Do What I Want | Zadako Bandluxe PC Express Card (3G Broadband) »