New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Problem Replacing Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Hustle

Hustle is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook 1.83Ghz, 2GB Ram, 120GB HDD

So i purchased the 120gb Harddrive below, and i got it today.
I removed my old one and inserted this one. I turnt it on and inserted the OSx disk. Now when it gets to the bit that seas select destination to install, nothing is there.

Also, if i turn it on and dont hold C, and folder picture comes up with a question mark in it.

Help!!!
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=14&subcat=896
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

It's probably unpartitioned and needs to be by Disk Utility. Same thing happened to me when I tried to install a new HD in a new uh, "Mac" and I booted off the install DVD. There's an option in one of the menus to run Disk Utility, and it'll see it, then partition/format it for use. Then you can install OS X.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
So i purchased the 120gb Harddrive below, and i got it today.
I removed my old one and inserted this one. I turnt it on and inserted the OSx disk. Now when it gets to the bit that seas select destination to install, nothing is there.

Also, if i turn it on and dont hold C, and folder picture comes up with a question mark in it.

Help!!!
http://www.overclockers.co.uk/showpr...=14&subcat=896
I highly recommend an adapter that allows you to hook up any hard drive externally. This way, you can take a look at the drive with OS X running and partition it ahead of time. You can even use a backup utility like SuperDuper to clone your existing drive to it.

I find this tool absolutely to be a "must have" in my toolbox.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Hustle

Ok, so i only have a IDE External Harddrive case. I don't have any SATA ones, although, i have a 60gb external harddrive. I'm not sure if i can install OSx onto that and then boot from that with the harddrive in the Macbook.

Also, i got a little, like, it looks like a sugar packet you get from a cafe. It sounds like its got lots of tiny screws in it, although, i dont think its screws. It seas GreenPac - Do Not Eat on it. Is this something you put in the harddrive?

Also is there a way of partioning the harddrive without buying an external case?
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hustle View Post
Ok, so i only have a IDE External Harddrive case. I don't have any SATA ones, although, i have a 60gb external harddrive. I'm not sure if i can install OSx onto that and then boot from that with the harddrive in the Macbook.

Also, i got a little, like, it looks like a sugar packet you get from a cafe. It sounds like its got lots of tiny screws in it, although, i dont think its screws. It seas GreenPac - Do Not Eat on it. Is this something you put in the harddrive?

Also is there a way of partioning the harddrive without buying an external case?
The packet is silica gel. It's used to keep the packaging moisture-free. You can safely discard it.

As walkerj mentioned, I would try booting from the OS X install CD and running Disk Utility from the menus to prep your drive prior to installing.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
Hustle

Thankyou all. That worked great.
I'm making this a video for youtube, so you all get a special thanks.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bluetooth headset bad sound quality | Just a quick question about magsafe power adaptors »