Thread: Memory Upgrade

starrin
    Memory Upgrade
    So now that I have my Powerbook back in hand from getting repaired -- I would like to upgrade the memory.

Currently my 15 inch 1.25 has 512 Mb -- I would like to get it to a gig. I have not looked but do they fill both slots with 256 or one with 512 -- probably the latter right:-(

So if I go to Crucial and get a stick of 512 -- I should install it in the lower slot I assume.

Do any of you think I would see a performance boost for day to day work -- or only when doing things like GarageBand, iDVD, iPhoto, etc...?

jerodhusvar
    Quote Originally Posted by starrin
    Currently my 15 inch 1.25 has 512 Mb -- I would like to get it to a gig. I have not looked but do they fill both slots with 256 or one with 512 -- probably the latter right:-(
    Actually, probably the first. 2 256mb sticks are, generally, cheaper than 1 512.

Honestly, you can probably work all year on 512mb. Having a gig would be nice, but unless you're doing some SERIOUS photoshop editing, DVD authoring, or the like, you'll probably be just fine with 512.

jjh

starrin
    I figured as much and I would probably get more for the money if I was to buy some useful software or a new bag:-)

jerodhusvar
    Quote Originally Posted by starrin
    I figured as much and I would probably get more for the money if I was to buy some useful software or a new bag:-)
    Office 2004 is sweet.

jjh

Specs:
    15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs
    Assuming ur using Panther, click the apple menu, click "About this Mac"

Then click "More Info..."; You will open System Profiler. On the left side, under hardware, click memory. You will be able to see how many memory slots are free in ur laptop.

Thread Information