New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

new ibook...

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

steena33

I purchased a 12" 1Gz Ibook less than a week ago, and I still don't really know to work the thing. I seem to have a problem that I am unable to fix (that is, I don't even know if it can be fixed) I have a tendency to stay signed on to AIM for hours at a time while I'm out of the house, but I shut the lid on the laptop when I leave the room. However, when I shut the lid the computer goes into sleep mode and I am kicked off of AIM. Is there any way I can disable the computer going to sleep mode every time I close the lid? I've already disabled the sleep mode while the lid is open. It's rather annoying, and I just want to know if this is solvable. Thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

OMG no! If the iBook didn't sleep with the lid down you would come home to a smoldering lump! The keyboard is a very important vent for iBook. iBook is not really meant to be left on all the time monitoring AIM, desktops are better suited to that. Also if you don't use Mac Janitor, you need to know aboout cron and repair permissions
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

As witeshark said, if you want to remain signed on or connected to the internet, don't shut the lid on your iBook. It is a good idea, however, to adjust your settings so that the display goes to sleep after a certain amount of time.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

i was wondering why you couldn't switch off the sleep-shut thing, though now you mention it, the keys are quite warm!

Although, wouldn't the vent at the back be open, regardless whether or not the lid was shut? I thought that was the ibook's main vent?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

Almost all the heat escapes through the keyboard....there are hacks to allow you to disable the sleep mode but in a majority of cases that leads to people having a couple thousand dollar paper weight

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Memory Upgrade | Just ordered my new Powerbook!!! »