New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

New PB 12" RevC or pre-owned PB15" RevB

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wei

I need some opinion here, pls help and thanks in advance!

here is my option:
brand new PB 12" RevC Combo
or a 9 month old PB 15" Combo (with AirPort Extreme Card, no AppleCare and the rest are as original factory specs) - $1300

im not sure which to choose... :confused:
QUOTE Thanks
Graeme43

Graeme43 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: I love student discount (sig)

specs?

iBook G3 (2001) 500MHz 384 RAM 9.2.2 / 10.2.8
Titanium PowerBook G4 (2001) 500MHz 768 RAM 9.2.2/10.2.8
Mac Pro (2007) 4x2.66GHz, 6GB RAM, 10.6.7
iPad 3G + iPhone 4
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

The rev C are nice, I just bought a 12" (rev c) with the superdrive, added another 512meg of ram. I looked at the 15" but decided for portability I wanted the 12.... the 15 just seems huge in comparison. Rev c has some advantages, faster 1.33ghz or 1.5ghz, faster front side cache, more video ram though in the 12 you can only get 64meg while the rev c 15 and 17 has the option of 128meg. Hard drives are bigger than they were. All in all I found a maked difference in speed between a 12" 1ghz (rev b) and the 1.33ghz.

If you need screen size over portability the 15 for that money is pretty hard to beat. You can up to the end of the first year add applecare so that is not much of an issue.
QUOTE Thanks
wei

yeah, it is a hard decision. I'll get to see the 15" PB soon. Although it is an used model, but the seller promissed it was at good condition.

anything i should look at to be sure the PB is at good condition?
QUOTE Thanks
wei

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graeme43
specs?
here's the specs:
NEW - Rev C 12" PB (M9183SA/A)
- 1.33GHz G4
- 256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
- GeForce FX Go5200 64MB VRAM
- 60GB 4200RPM HDD
- Combo drive
- Built-in Airport Extreme Card

9month old - Rev B 15" PB (M8980LL/A)
- 1GHz G4
- 256MB + 256MB PC2700 DDR SDRAM
- ATI Mobility Radeon 9600 64MB VRAM
- 60GB 4200RPM HDD
- Combo Drive
- Built-in Airport Extreme Card
- No Applecare
QUOTE Thanks
NightCrawler

NightCrawler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro (early 2011) 2,2 i7, 4 GB RAM, 750 GB HDD, 1 GB ATI 6750M, High-Res AntiGlare Screen

PowerBook 15 i say...... even tho it is used

Quote:
- It's like - he was got - they'd just like. It was like so hush hush. They were so... quiet about it. And then the next thing you know...
QUOTE Thanks
MoltenLava

The difference between 12" and 15" is quite a lot. To me they are completely different machines. I like 12" because it's small and lightweight. 15" is good, but at 6lbs it's somewhat cumbersome to carry around. If you are torn between the two, you probably don't care too much about portability, in which case 15" will be better for you because it provides 50% more viewing area.

BTW, check out eBay more often. I saw brand new 15" Ti G4 Powerbook listed today for $1500 buy-it-now. It's probably sold by now. There are a lot of good deals on eBay. The only problem is the good ones go real fast, usually within 3 hours of listing.
QUOTE Thanks
wei

Quote:
Originally Posted by MoltenLava
BTW, check out eBay more often. I saw brand new 15" Ti G4 Powerbook listed today for $1500 buy-it-now. It's probably sold by now. There are a lot of good deals on eBay. The only problem is the good ones go real fast, usually within 3 hours of listing.
Do you think $1300 for a 9month old PB is expensive? I dont think I'll want it from ebay, since most I've found there are either in europe or US. Im staying in Malaysia, hard to arrange the payment & shipment... anyway thanks for your helpful reply.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ibook and reformatting??? | Stuffit/ .zip files »