New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Can the Ibook G4 usb slots power an external 2.5 hard drive?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Computer.Geek

Computer.Geek is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 13.3" 2.26 GHz MBP, 2GB RAM, 640GB HD

I'm looking @ purchasing the western digital passport external drive. They do not come with ac adapters as they are supposed to be powered by the usb port. Will the ibook be able to provide enough power to do so? I am asking b/c on some reviews it stated some computers may not be able to do it.

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
maxwell690

maxwell690 is on a distinguished road

I use my iBook G4 to power a 2.5 extenal hard drive (I've got this one http://www.lacie.com/uk/products/product.htm?pid=10651), it works fine!

The drive also comes with a second usb lead that you can plug in, if the single port is not providing enough power (though my iBook doesn't need it). Cannot speak for the exact model you're interested in, but you may be able to read up on the power required and compare. Failing that, buy the same one as me!
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

I own an iBook G4 1.33Ghz and an WD Passport 80GB USB 2.0 External. Works great.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« mac battery...is it truth? | Upgraded from 3gig of ram to 4gig »