New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Cracking Noise when Closing Lid after being opened for a long period of time

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

sonnylee

When closing the lid to my PB 15 AL, if I had it opened for, say one hour, there is this single loud crack/click noise coming from the left hinge. It sounds as if it was stuck. If I only open my lid for, say 15 minutes or so, or some other short period, then the sound isn't there. Should I be worried about this? I've heard other PB make the same sound as well. Is this normal?

Thanks,
Sonny
QUOTE Thanks
Murlyn

Murlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to allMurlyn is a name known to all
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.6 GHz Core 2 Duo 4GB RAM OS 10.5.2

Well I know the only time my PB made that noise, the hinge busted on it. Mine is the Titanium one though.. I would be worried, but I would wait to hear what other people say.
QUOTE Thanks
TTK

I had this same problem, bring it into the Apple Store or call AppleCare and send it in, don't wait. It just gets worse. I got my repaired and it's smooth sailin'.
QUOTE Thanks
starrin

Hello -- I have noticed this same exact cracking noise on my PB. I am wondering if I take it to the Apple Store -- that they will be able to address the problem -- maybe adjusting some of the screws on the hinges?
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

The demo models in our local Apple store do that too; it sounds horrible. Definitely take it in before you bust the hinge off.

Roger Michaels
Apple Certified Consultant
QUOTE Thanks
jp_tix

i just had my pb fixed (still under warranty) for the exact same problem.
smooth as a mountain stream now.
QUOTE Thanks
starrin

I took mine to the apple store -- the guy said he would tighten up some screws -- he did and it appears to have worked -- every so often I get it -- but it does not crack 95% of the time.

Only problem is that when I got it back -- I have 2 nice sized scratches.

If you take it to you store tell them OVER AND OVER -- DO NOT SCRATCH MY POWERBOOK!!!!
QUOTE Thanks
hype.it

hype.it is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Dual 2.2GHz powered by AMD Opteron - *Sends G5 & 8Gb Ram to scrap heap* Yeah! finally switched BACK!

Ok i won't...

*drops it instead*
*big dent, front right corner*
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Mine does this as well, I would not be too worried.
QUOTE Thanks
Strider

Strider is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.16GHz ^ATI Radeon X1600 256MB ^100GB @ 7200 rpm ^2GB RAM ^Glossy Screen +iPod 4G 20 gigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
Mine does this as well, I would not be too worried.
no no no, be worried, be worried! I remember I read on some Mac retail website about this kit with screw-drivers that aid in loosening and tightening the hinges. The reason given was that very tight hinges will harm the powerbook/ibook and the hinge mechanism could break.
QUOTE Thanks
c.Tao81

mine have the same problem as well, just contact the KRCS, they said they can fix it, but takes three WEEKS not days, OMG, is that normal? or any suggestion for any quick repair?
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I'm not gonna worry. If it falls off, I already have 3 strikes at Apple and they'll upgrade me...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Calculator Assistance | Big difference b/t 512mb and 768mb RAM in ibook? »