New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Just ordered my new Powerbook!!!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wickedbusa

I just ordered my new toy, a replacement for my iBook G4. Actually, I'm handing down my iBook to my fiance who has been complaining about her Compaq laptop for as long as thee I can remember. Here is what I just ordered:

17 inch Powerbook G4 1.5 gHz
80 gig HD @ 5400
512 MB RAM
128 MB Graphics Memory
Superdrive
Airport Extreme

I left out the RAM upgrade since I can get a 1 MB stick for a lot less than Apple is charging. Can't wait
QUOTE Thanks
IndianPowerbook

AWESOME CHOICE

The 17 incher is so gorgeous. You just need a big *** case when u travel!

CONGRATS ON THE NEW MAC ADDITION!

ANOTHER SWITCHER
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

I may have to find a bigger bag to carry my new PB around in. For the amount of money I just spent on it, I don't want ANYTHING to happen to it. Funny thing is, I don't mind the amount of money I spent. There's just something about falling in love with a Mac.
QUOTE Thanks
Matt

GOOD ON YOU! GREAT CHOICE! 512MB OF RAM should enough for now anyways
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbusa
I left out the RAM upgrade since I can get a 1 MB stick for a lot less than Apple is charging. Can't wait
Don't know about your dealer but where I bought my computer they also sold other ram (Kingston and others) from several manufacturers and I checked prices all over Calgary. The dealer was $10 more than the lowest price I found elswhere and they installed it and tested it, lifetime warranty etc. I could have bought ram cheaper on the internet but being in Canada there is money exchange, duty, taxes and brockerage fees that drive the price up. In the end I decided I would rather get it put in by the Apple tech and know that it works properly etc. I would check with them anyways and see what other ram they sell or can get and costs.

I am an innstant gratification kind of guy So I bought my computer from a dealer rather than wait for it be shipped. I had a chance to try the computer and make sure everything was good before I left. I also try to support local business as much as I can even though I may pay a little more. In the end they gave me a Mareware Sportfolio II sleeve for it along with a couple of the mac magazines.

Congrats on the new toy, I am sure you'll be lovin' it
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Congratz on the new 17! Nice Mac collection lzasitko!
QUOTE Thanks
Kutless217

Kutless217 is on a distinguished road

if you want ram thats cheaper then what even the manufactures sell it for (both macs and pcs) then go to http://www.crucial.com/store/listpar...y%29&submit=Go

they make the ram themselves for about 95% of all computer makers
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

Hey wickedbusa, high five! you and i now have exactly the same computer, exact configurations and all. I bought a 1GB RAM stick from crucial when they were selling them for $439 a pop. Currently they're $478 or something...
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicholas
Hey wickedbusa, high five! you and i now have exactly the same computer, exact configurations and all. I bought a 1GB RAM stick from crucial when they were selling them for $439 a pop. Currently they're $478 or something...
Wow! That that how much it is for a 1GB stick nowadays? :eek: Hmm, it would be cheaper if I just had 2 512 sticks :cool: Is there a difference in the peformance between a 1 GB stick and dual 512 sticks?
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

Well I have two 1GB sticks in the powerbook. But two 512 vs. one 1GB stick would make no difference. But if you bought a 1GB stick, then you'd actually have 1.5GB. Blazing indeed.
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

Nicholas, did you have to special order your PB? It just makes me wonder how long it will take for my new PB to get here. I ordered it yesterday directly from Apple.
QUOTE Thanks
beret9987

beret9987 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2Ghz SR MBP

CONGRATS! Welcome to the Mac World! I love my PB too even though i still own a PC though for those evil little video editing programs that wont work with my Mac. Maybe Ill buy another PB.... Maybe A turbo for my honda or a G5? A little help guys?
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

You loser. Rot in hell.

...ignore me. I'm jealous.
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Absolute Zero
You loser. Rot in hell.

...ignore me. I'm jealous.
I felt the same way as you do. It was hard looking at all of my friend's with Powerbooks, especially since I was the only one with an iBook. Trust me, I spent a LONG time saving up for this thing
:p

Beret, get a G5, forget the turbo If you want to go fast, get a bike (hence, my username).
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

I wish you luck with your PowerBook. Mine has had nothing but trouble.
*sprinkles salt all around thread and chants some weird things*
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« new ibook... | 12" 800MHZ and 12" 1GZ »