New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Which Macbook should i get?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

srgthunder

srgthunder is on a distinguished road

hi guys i'm 14 + basically what I'll be using it for is watching dvds, playing my music, making cd's/dvds, word processing and other education based things. My dad said he would get me one as I'm starting my GCSE's (dunno the US equivalent) and he's teaching me A level history and politics so I'll need one for typing things, research,receiving docs and to show off to friends cos of the slick design. I like the macbook pro but i just don't think i need one, im sure you'll agree. All comments appreciated...........
price range=$1400 £700
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

In all honesty, the lowes end macbook would work fine, but your probably want to go with a mid range simply because you might do more extensive work later on. Definitely no need for a macbook pro.
QUOTE Thanks
srgthunder

that's what i thought but we'll see what others think..........
thanks for fast reponse
QUOTE Thanks
ajlwoody

ajlwoody is on a distinguished road

Hey im in exactly the same situation as you: 14 just starting GCSE's and wanting to get a mac for when i go back to school. Well i have deciced that i am going to go for the mid ranged macbook (£830) it is exactly my budget (which was £840max) and i decided i should get this one becasue of more hard drive and more powerfull but felt i didnt need the top end MB. I'm now just decidind whta case to get. I know this is off topic but could i have your help please:

Brenthaven Edge I for 13,3" MacBook: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...387&nplm=TH387

or

Incase Canvas Sleeve for 13,3" MacBook: http://store.apple.com/Apple/WebObje...05F&nplm=TL691

Thnaks and good luck with your MacBook srgthunder!!!
QUOTE Thanks
clem13

clem13 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: White Macbook 80GB 2GHz C2D 1GB RAM | iPod Nano 3G 8GB

Quote:
Originally Posted by srgthunder View Post
hi guys i'm 14 + basically what I'll be using it for is watching dvds, playing my music, making cd's/dvds, word processing and other education based things.
If you want to burn DVDs then the lowest end one (699) only has a combo drive, which can't write DVDs.
QUOTE Thanks
pirate pete

pirate pete is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 3G Black Macbook 2.16ghz, 2gb, 160gb

if your budget is 700 quid, can you really be considering anything other than the base line macbook?

if you can squeeze more cash out, i would highly recommend the mid range with no customisation.

for waht you are going to be using it for, it will be more than adequate (you can always buy cheap 2gb ram at a later time)

nice to see you are taking AS history and politics at the age of 15 - i just had my first year in both these subjects and it is a real ***** of an exam (well, the politics was. but only because of the time constraints)

GCSEs, AS and A2 will drag you right down for the next 4 years of your life with uninspirational fact learning - unlucky.

i only have one omre year of crap left, then i can go to uni and express myself as much as i like!
YAY.

edit: i think the US equiv of GCSEs are S-A-Ts....the exams at the end of grade school?
QUOTE Thanks
Shannonb

Shannonb has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 2.16 Core 2 Duo, 160GB HD, 2gb RAM, Black Macbook | iPhone | OS X Leopard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pirate pete View Post
if your budget is 700 quid, can you really be considering anything other than the base line macbook?

if you can squeeze more cash out, i would highly recommend the mid range with no customisation.

for waht you are going to be using it for, it will be more than adequate (you can always buy cheap 2gb ram at a later time)

nice to see you are taking AS history and politics at the age of 15 - i just had my first year in both these subjects and it is a real ***** of an exam (well, the politics was. but only because of the time constraints)

GCSEs, AS and A2 will drag you right down for the next 4 years of your life with uninspirational fact learning - unlucky.

i only have one omre year of crap left, then i can go to uni and express myself as much as i like!
YAY.

edit: i think the US equiv of GCSEs are S-A-Ts....the exams at the end of grade school?
We dont have exams at the end of grade school. Just profiency but those are really easy. The SAT is junior-senior of high school.
QUOTE Thanks
Zildjian

Zildjian is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 2.16GHZ, 1G mem, 120HD

Id say the mid range one will work well. Im on one right now and it's incredible. I'm a college student and a musician and this thing delivers both ways. I highly recommend looking at windows office for word documents excel etc.
QUOTE Thanks
srgthunder

ok cool i'll go for the mid range one i can get one in my budget, if i buy one thats a refurb, i'll be getting vista,office for free so thats cool.
cheers
QUOTE Thanks
israelvalenciac

israelvalenciac is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.16 GHz C2D, 1GB RAM, 320 HDD, Superdrive, Mighty Mouse

Mid MacBook, 1GB Ram, 80 HD, SuperDrive.

+Macbook; 2.16 GHz, 2GB Ram, 320 HDD, SuperDrive.
+Mighty Mouse Bluetooth.
+iPod Video Black 30GB.
+iPod Nano White 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks
clem13

Quote:
Originally Posted by israelvalenciac View Post
Mid MacBook, 1GB Ram, 80 HD, SuperDrive.
That's not the mid one. The standard configuration mid-rage macbook has:

* 2.16GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
* 1GB memory
* 120GB hard drive
* Double-layer SuperDrive

QUOTE Thanks
israelvalenciac

ok, depends on the country, in Mexico the one i wrote it's the mid one (sux, ha?)

+Mighty Mouse Bluetooth.
+iPod Video Black 30GB.
+iPod Nano White 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks
clem13

Lol yeah. Well what I posted is the mid configuration for UK.

QUOTE Thanks
israelvalenciac

Now everyone who sees my MacBook ask me "what model is that"... bah! what should I say? "It's a MB core 2 duo, 80GB HD, 1GB Ram...." ?????... for example "it's a HP Pavilion dv6220LA"

+Mighty Mouse Bluetooth.
+iPod Video Black 30GB.
+iPod Nano White 2 GB
QUOTE Thanks
ajlwoody

ajlwoody is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by israelvalenciac View Post
Now everyone who sees my MacBook ask me "what model is that"... bah! what should I say? "It's a MB core 2 duo, 80GB HD, 1GB Ram...." ?????... for example "it's a HP Pavilion dv6220LA"
I see you don't want to have to tell someone that cuz after 5minutes ofd you telling them the name they'll get bored: just say mid range MB. !!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Macbook good enuff for me? | Stylus on Trackpad? »