New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - 15: vs 17" NEW versions? Help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

controversleigh

controversleigh is on a distinguished road

Hey guys. I need some help. I'm not a serious techie. I don't know much of the jargin cept for basic info on Hard Drives, RAM, etc. Keeping that in mind, I hope you can help.

I'm getting a MacBook Pro. I've seen many of the age old 15" vs 17" MBP discussions, problem is they are over a year old. Awhile back everybody said that the diff between them was that the 17 had an 8x instead of a 4x and had more RAM/faster speed. Ok but over at the Apple website I see that the specs now SEEM to be the exact same for the the $2499 15" and the $2799 17". So my question is....is it the same in every way? If these two machines have the EXACT same specs, performance capabilities, features, etc. in EVERY way and the ONLY difference is the screen size, then I will downgrade without second thought. Screen size doesn't matter to me. Money isn't the issue here at all either. I'll be using it for serious web design and some hardcore video editing. So I asked for the 17" after reading how the 15" is a bit slower, lesser in capabilities and features, etc.

Are ALL the features between the same now? If so I'll downgrade b/c the portability of a 15" seems more reasonable. But if there's any spec/performance differences, I'll stick with the 17 despite it being significantly bulkier. So help me out, let me know....are these the literal EXACT same machines with the only difference being the screen size? Thanks!

L.
QUOTE Thanks
D3v1L80Y

D3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond reputeD3v1L80Y has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: MacBook

Quote:
Originally Posted by controversleigh View Post
I've seen many of the age old 15" vs 17" MBP discussions, problem is they are over a year old.
....And that makes absolutely no difference. Just because a thread is a year old, does not mean it isn't valid.

The 17" model is always going to have slightly better specs than the 15" model (though the 15" can usually be customized to match).
Therefore, it is always going to come down to the size preference issue.

mac: a waterproof raincoat made of rubberized fabric
MAC: a data communication protocol sub-layer, also known as the Media Access Control
Mac: a brand name which covers several lines of personal computers designed, developed, and marketed by Apple Inc.

QUOTE Thanks
matt1985

matt1985 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G

Quote:
Originally Posted by D3v1L80Y View Post
....And that makes absolutely no difference. Just because a thread is a year old, does not mean it isn't valid.
well the thread starters question and remarks about the differences are farily valid, and hes not asking about screen sizes.
in the earlier MBP's there were hardware differences between the 15" and 17" models, hardrive sizes, Superdrive speeds for a couple.

however now there arent, well between the higher specced 15" and the 17",
except the extra USB port and the size of possible hard drive sizes (well apple supplied ones anyway) and obviously the screen resolutions.
not really enough difference if u dont need the screen size IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
controversleigh

^Thank you.

EDIT: You actually helped along the lines of what I was asking, thanks so much. Cool. I can always live without an extra USB port (or get a port hub). Really I just needed to know....if "as is" (no extra upgrades) they (the more expensive 15 and the basic 17) were the same performance/speed-wise...sounds like you're saying that now they are (cept screen size and drive upgrades of course). I'm so torn honestly....if I travel around which is a strong possibility I need it portable. But when stationary I'm looking at possible high end production work within the entertainment industry so I need performance ya know? Hm. *weighs scale*

Anyway I appreciate your help matt.

L.
QUOTE Thanks
matt1985

matt1985 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 2.5ghz Penryn MBP, 4 Gb Ram, 512mb 8600M GT, 250gb HDD & Black 30gb iPod, Black 16gb iPhone 3G

no problems

well, if u need the best of both worlds, then perhaps u could go with the 15" and put the difference towards getting an
extenal monitor, keyboard and mouse to suit what u need for when u are editing at home.
QUOTE Thanks
controversleigh

Yep. I did actually change to a 15", and just asked for the rpm upgrade to 7200. So really the speed will be even better than that of the basic 17", which is great. More portable and better performance, can't beat that! It was a pretty big decision though....this hardware and software I'm getting will wind up being approx. $7,000 total, so I wanted to make sure I had the right notebook for me and held no regrets. I feel great about it now, and you helped. So again, gracias!

L.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What are your settings for smcFanControl? | DVD drive clicking noise? »