New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Replacing MB Pro Hard Drive

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

ayb

ayb is on a distinguished road

So I just bought the new Macbook Pro, (santa rosa). I'm planning on replacing the hard drive with a faster, 7200rpm hard drive.

I'm a bit confused though: what type of drive to I need? The one people recomend is this ATA-6 one, but on the apple site it says the drives are SATA.

Also, I've read that on the new MB pro model, the hard drive cable is glued to the hard drive. Will it still be possible to replace the drive?

Also, will replacing my hard drive void the AppleCare warranty?... that would be a huge problem.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by ayb View Post
So I just bought the new Macbook Pro, (santa rosa). I'm planning on replacing the hard drive with a faster, 7200rpm hard drive.

I'm a bit confused though: what type of drive to I need? The one people recomend is this ATA-6 one, but on the apple site it says the drives are SATA.
Correct, the MBP uses a 2.5" SATA hard drive. Frankly, unless you're looking to increase the capacity, upgrading to 7200rpm from 5400rpm will not impact performance significantly. If you do intend to upgrade for capacity reasons, make sure the company you buy from specifies that the drive has a SATA or SATA2 interface.

Quote:
Also, I've read that on the new MB pro model, the hard drive cable is glued to the hard drive. Will it still be possible to replace the drive?
It's not glued - at least not on my older MBP. There is a bit of double-sided tape on the cable, but you would merely peel it off and restick it on the new drive.

Quote:
Also, will replacing my hard drive void the AppleCare warranty?... that would be a huge problem.
Officially, yes. The AppleCare warranty stipulates that you may not open the case, which is required to replace the hard drive. With that said, as long as you don't cause any damage while opening the case, it should be fine. But I do recommend you keep the old drive to swap back in, in the event you ever need warranty work.

There is an urban legend running around that there is some sort of tamper-evident seal on the case, but I have verified with a certified Apple field repair technician that that's not true.

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
NPuter

NPuter is a jewel in the roughNPuter is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 15" 2.2GHz Santa Rosa Macbook Pro - 4GB Ram - 120GB HD OS X Leopard - Windows XP

based on this guide(link below), replacing the hdd on a mbp is moderately major(involves opening the case) and requires some know-how.
well...
if you are really up to it
here is a great guide that walks you through the process step-by-step
http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/laptops/g...ive-254463.php

and about your warranty
I am almost certain that this will void it taking in account you will be fully opening up the case
if you are going to take a shot at this
good luck and enjoy the new hard drive!

"The forums are not only a place to have questions answered, they are a place to be part of a community..."
QUOTE Thanks
copper7op

copper7op is on a distinguished road

great walkthru. its my nxt upgrade for sure, 30-70% sped increase in hdd based activities is hard to pass up

Macbook Pro 2.2 SR
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Best deal on RAM? | What are your settings for smcFanControl? »