New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

12" 800MHZ and 12" 1GZ

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hen163

I am considering to sell my 12" 800MHZ iBook then buy the 1GZ 12", is it worthy of doing this?

I have read some review about the two models, and it says that the 1GZ one performs about 1/3 faster than the old one, is that true?

I have 640MB ram in my 800MHZ now, and the 128MB ram came with the laptop is no use currently, if I buy the new 1GZ after selling my 800MHZ(256MB ram), I will put the 512MB ram into the open slot so 768MB ram for the new machine. what do u think?
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Well, is the 800 a G3 or G4? if it is a G3, you'll notice a difference between the 800 and 1GHz. If the 800 is a G4, you won't notice a ton of difference (a little maybe). However, if I recall, the "256MB" that comes with iBooks is 128MB soldered on-board, and 1- 128MB chip in the slot. Besides, the iBook's max memory is 640MB.

EDIT: I am wrong about the memory thing. It comes with 256 onboard, up to 1.25GB of RAM, and 1 expansion slot.

BUT! If your old iBook is a G3, you cannot swap RAM between a G3 and a G4. It won't work.
QUOTE Thanks
hen163

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcjabber
Well, is the 800 a G3 or G4? if it is a G3, you'll notice a difference between the 800 and 1GHz. If the 800 is a G4, you won't notice a ton of difference (a little maybe). However, if I recall, the "256MB" that comes with iBooks is 128MB soldered on-board, and 1- 128MB chip in the slot. Besides, the iBook's max memory is 640MB.

EDIT: I am wrong about the memory thing. It comes with 256 onboard, up to 1.25GB of RAM, and 1 expansion slot.

BUT! If your old iBook is a G3, you cannot swap RAM between a G3 and a G4. It won't work.
My 800MHZ is a G4, do u think it's better to upgrade to the G4 1GHz, or save the money to buy an Aiport Extreme card (I havent got one installed).
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

I would base this choice on any difference in system bus speed
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

I would stick with what you have...

It's always tempting to get the latest release but imho this speed bump isn't worth it.

You should hang on another 1/2 year maybe if you really want to update... by then the ibooks will have had another speed bump!

But for now, i don't think it would make a difference!

Having said that: i have the 1Ghz one (sorry for rubbing it in!)
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Quote:
Originally Posted by hen163
My 800MHZ is a G4, do u think it's better to upgrade to the G4 1GHz, or save the money to buy an Aiport Extreme card (I havent got one installed).
I think I would get the Airport Extreme card. Wait another 1/2 year for the iBook speed bumps! =)
QUOTE Thanks
hen163

Thanks for your advice
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

*skimmed this thread*

My dad has a 1.33 GHz PowerBook, I have an 867 MHz. I can clearly say, his performs better than mine, hands down. Same amount of RAM, with a SuperDrive. It's faster, by like, a lot. Well, that's what it seems.

...I'm jealous.
QUOTE Thanks
()verBored

I think there is a pretty big difference between the 800 MHz G4 ibook and the new 1 GHz...I used both, and my main comparison is based on Games and how well they perform with the same video card on board. It basically boils down to the fact the 1 GHz can "do it" with more games than the 800 MHz. In fact, they come preloaded with Tony Hawk 4, which barely runs on the 800 MHz model (at least with the base RAM on board), but runs great on my 1 GHz. Of course, I am comparing my 1 GHz with 512 MB of ram to the 800 I also used for a while with only 256 MB on board!
QUOTE Thanks
hen163

Quote:
Originally Posted by ()verBored
I think there is a pretty big difference between the 800 MHz G4 ibook and the new 1 GHz...I used both, and my main comparison is based on Games and how well they perform with the same video card on board. It basically boils down to the fact the 1 GHz can "do it" with more games than the 800 MHz. In fact, they come preloaded with Tony Hawk 4, which barely runs on the 800 MHz model (at least with the base RAM on board), but runs great on my 1 GHz. Of course, I am comparing my 1 GHz with 512 MB of ram to the 800 I also used for a while with only 256 MB on board!
do u see any difference when using other applications except games because I dont play games with the iBook that much? and also, I think the 256MB compare to the 512MB does make a lot of difference. I usually run a lot of apps together, web, iTune, word, quickTime and sometimes more, so do u think the 1GZ can help a lot?
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Well i read a magazine comparison on all the new laptop models and when comparing the 800 / 1GHZ ibooks (both G4) the new model obviously performed slightly better!

Having said that, the new 12" powerbook was also compared and the differences were something like:

Test: Photoshop rendering:
800 Mhz: x amount of seconds.
1Ghz: x - 15 seconds
1,33Ghz: x - 20 seconds..

So what? They all do the same things, just takes one model 5 seconds longer than the other...

Stuff it full with ram, get airport extreme and be happy
QUOTE Thanks
tekno_geek911

I dont you'll notice a difference at all,my friend has the 1.25GHz iMac and I cant tell the difference between my PB and his iMac.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Just ordered my new Powerbook!!! | Help! »