New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

PowerBook - PB G4 Memory Slot Failure - If ram is only in the top (good) slot will the pb run ok?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

stellarman28

stellarman28 is on a distinguished road

Hello, for those who haven't heard about the powerbook g4 lower slot failure (which is apparently fairly common), search google, or visit this site, where there is a petition regarding the issue: http://lowermemoryslot.editkid.com/. Apple recognizes that it is an issue (there is a link on the petition site to apple's statement), but extended service was only available for a limited range of serial numbers in the powerbook family. In anycase, my powerbook has this affliction and is most certainly out of warranty (it is nearly 3 years old).

Now for the details... About a month ago my pb g4 stopped recognizing ram in the lower slot. I ordered 1gb of ram and was running off just the top slot for a few weeks with no noticeable problems, actually it was running quite smoothly! A few days ago the system froze upon waking up from sleep and I had to hard reset. It hasn't started up since (has start up noise, comes up with a blue screen, then a grey screen with the apple logo, then never loads the os). After running a diagnostic and taking it in to the apple store it seems the hard drive is dead. Apple wants to charge $400 for the replacement of same hard drive.

Basically, I was wondering if anyone knows if running solely off the top slot effectively 'solves' the complications that can allegedly occur by having a faulty lower slot. I've heard that logic board problems (and replacements) have resulted from the lower slot failure issue. I'm curious whether that damage is ONLY inflicted by having ram in the lower slot, or whether simply having an faulty empty slot is a cause for concern. If anyone knows any information about this, or even just what having a bad lower slot could/would do to any other components of the computer I'd love to know.

As you can guess, I'm skeptical on whether I should bother getting the hard drive fixed, or if I should just bite the bullet and think about investing in a new computer. I'm concerned that problems could arise in the future even if i get the hd fixed. Thanks for hearing me out, any input on the situation is appreciated.

Steve
Powerbook owner with one working memory slot and a failing hard drive

For those interested, here's the error code from the hardware test off the panther install disc:

***ERROR CODE***
2STF/4/3:ATA-100ata-6-Master

Generally from what i've come up with, the hard drive is kaput.
QUOTE Thanks
BlackSheep

BlackSheep is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano

I have been living with the LOWER SLOT problem on my PB for the last three months. I to have been running one 1gb ram stick in the upper slot without a problem. Granted it's much slower than when both slots (1gb upper, 1gb lower) were working. Oh well. Sorry for the late response. I was doing a search about this issue and came across your post. As for biting the bullet for a new Mac.... **** Yes!!!! Especially now with the new Santa Rosa MBPs.
QUOTE Thanks
technologist

technologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond reputetechnologist has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 12" Apple PowerBook G4 (1.5GHz)

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303173
Quote:
The program covers affected PowerBook G4 (15-inch 1.67/1.5GHz) computers for up to two years from the original date of purchase. Apple will continue to evaluate the repair data and will provide further repair extensions as needed
QUOTE Thanks
BlackSheep

BlackSheep is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 24' Al_iMac 2.8GHz 4GB Ram 1TB HD, 15" PB 1.5GHz 1GB Ram 160GB HD, 2x30GB iPod, 2x Shuffle, Nano

The crappy thing about that extension program is it only covers certain serial numbers. My PB does not fall within the series, even though it has had the same problem TWICE!!! Bummer....
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« ugly!!!! | Magsafe is giving problems »