New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Build Quality?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Canadatron

Canadatron is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 2.33Ghz 2 Gig Ram 120GB HD

I've got a few build quality issues. Who should I be bringing these up with? Is it an Apple repair facility that judges if something needs repairing? I don't even live remotely close to an Apple Store so I'm trying to not have to send it in. Any advice is appreciated.
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

A little more detail might help. Is it some kind of defect or you just don't like the way it's built?

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
adler

adler is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.4 GHz, 160 GB at 7200rpms 4GB ram...iPhone 3G

Maybe he's asking.. If I were to take my MBP ( which was ordered yesterday) and lets just say when i got it, it was running really really hot for a while. If I were to take in into the Apple store and tell them to re-apply heat sinks ( thermal paste) onto the chips, because I believe they've been over heating.. Would they take my word for it and do it? Or run diagnostics and stuff...
QUOTE Thanks
MMATruman

MMATruman is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" Matte, Macbook Pro 2.2 gHz, 2 GB Ram, 120GB HDD

depends on the day their having. I have heard stories of people getting brand new laptops just for little problems like that.
QUOTE Thanks
oleg1981

oleg1981 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 17" MBP 2.4, 2GB DDR,160gb HDD,8600m GT 256

is every body have build quality ishuse on there macbook pro like i do? its 17" brand new macbook pro
its not my picture! i have les degrea of deformation! but it is!

this is my computer
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

05GT will become famous soon enough

I can take a quick picture of mine, but it looks similiar to yours. It's not as drastic as the first picture though.

-13.3 Macbook Pro Retina / 64GB iP5 / 16GB iPad Mini
QUOTE Thanks
oleg1981

yes its the same!
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

Actually... originally out of the box it didn't have the curve to it. It developed after a couple days. I hadn't even put it into a computer bag yet.

QUOTE Thanks
oleg1981

05GT
myne to!
the same here! its 4days old!
QUOTE Thanks
bryphotoguy

bryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nicebryphotoguy is just really nice
Mac Specs: Quad 2.8GHz Mac Pro, Edge iPhone

It's thin aluminum. It will bend. Do you all push up the screen from one corner every single time you open it? If so, it's not a build issue but a user issue. Push the screen into position evenly in the center and not in the corners. This is prevent the frame from bending.

This isn't the first time this tread has been started.

January 2008 Member of the Month
QUOTE Thanks
05GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryphotoguy View Post
It's thin aluminum. It will bend. Do you all push up the screen from one corner every single time you open it? If so, it's not a build issue but a user issue. Push the screen into position evenly in the center and not in the corners. This is prevent the frame from bending.

This isn't the first time this tread has been started.
Nope.. I only open from the center, so this definitely isn't a user caused problem on my end. I really don't care either way, I was just posting the photos to help out the original poster!

QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS IPad1

It can be bent back if done carefully. Just be careful.
QUOTE Thanks
Discerptor

Discerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to allDiscerptor is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2.6GHz Core i7 15" MacBook Pro - 8GB DDR3 SDRAM - 750GB 7200 RPM HDD - GeForce 650M GT 1GB VRAM

I definitely think the build quality of the MacBook Pro is a grade lower than that of the PowerBook G4. I find random little dents showing up on my machine despite handling it very carefully (generally), and after just a few months of ownership, it already seems like its frame has been through more than my PowerBook, which I owned for years and definitely did not handle with nearly as much caution.
QUOTE Thanks
Dysfunction

Dysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant futureDysfunction has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: 2008 and 2011 15" mbps, late 11 iMac, iPhone 4s, and too many ipods and other stuff

hrnm, I have 0 dents in mine, despite carrying it daily. My lid isn't bent either.

mike
This machine kills fascists
Got # ? phear the command line!
QUOTE Thanks
L3G0M4N1A

L3G0M4N1A is on a distinguished road

I have had my MacBook since feb. and I take descent care of it and have no dents and no bends in it. I would call Apple and see what they say to do. I mean you have support for a year, and 3 years if you have the Apple care!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Disk repair software | Macbook,Macbook Pro Macbook Air bought in Korea »