New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - camera led won't turn off

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rgthreepo

rgthreepo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 2GHz intel

I have a Macbook. Sometimes the led for the camera comes on after start up even though no camera apps are active (I don't use apps that use the camera). Is the camera active if the led is on? I have tried opening then closing apps that use the camera to see if this helps; it does not. How do I turn off the camera????????
QUOTE Thanks
dekan

dekan is a jewel in the roughdekan is a jewel in the rough

hmm.. checked the ActivityMonitor if there is an application running, that looks like it could use the cam?

Also, open Photo Booth, when the light is already on. If it's really in use it should say, that the cam is in use by a different app.

But yah, usually it means the cam is on, when you see the green LED
QUOTE Thanks
jezster

jezster is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.2Ghz C2D (Black), 4GB RAM, 320GB Disk, MAC OSX 10.6.1, AC, 80Gig Classic, iPhone 16G 3G

Hmm.. I had a similar problem but it turned out that Comic Life fired up the camera to capture pictures if needed. Are you using ichat?
QUOTE Thanks
jc1350

jc1350 will become famous soon enough

Mine does it every once in a while. It's on as soon as the MB is powered (before the OS boots). I think it's a flaw in the hardware.

I looked at it via ichat or photo booth one time when it happened to see if the camera was really on. It was but and all it showed was a green screen. The only way I found to reset it is to shutdown and restart.
QUOTE Thanks
rgthreepo

rgthreepo is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook 2GHz intel

Thanks for the info. No, I do not use ichat and yes, I have tried shutting down and restarting but to no avail (the led lights once again). I am waiting for it to come on again on its own to try some of the other suggestions. Thanks for any further thoughts.
QUOTE Thanks
raghavsp

raghavsp is on a distinguished road

Even I notice the camera led problem. I did see that sometimes even if you rebott it doesnt work. But if you connect the magsafe power adapter always I dont seem to have the led problem.
QUOTE Thanks
mbriant

mbriant is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac 2.8GHz Intel Core 2 Extreme, Macbook 2.2Ghz Intel Core 2 Duo

After a year without a problem, I'm suddenly noticing the green LED coming on after boot-up as well. You might be onto something about using the power adaptor, because 99% of the time I do use it. Just this week I haven't been using the adaptor and now the green light's on. Seems odd that the two could be related.
QUOTE Thanks
deafMacGeek77

deafMacGeek77 is on a distinguished road

Well.. Some apps or web based apps can screw up the camera.. it was a big problem with my older mac (g5 tower) I never had a problem with my new laptop about 1yr old macbook pro with snow leopard on it.

I just allowed facebook to use the camera for web chat so it messed it up totally and the webcam is on all the time. So I would advise not using facebook web chat. Now I have to figure how to fix this. The led is on all the time now. Gotta disable it for facebook web chat i think since the problem started right after.

I gotta use my webcam for many things it's vital to me!! HELP!!
QUOTE Thanks
deafMacGeek77

deafMacGeek77 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by deafMacGeek77 View Post
Well.. Some apps or web based apps can screw up the camera.. it was a big problem with my older mac (g5 tower) I never had a problem with my new laptop about 1yr old macbook pro with snow leopard on it.

I just allowed facebook to use the camera for web chat so it messed it up totally and the webcam is on all the time. So I would advise not using facebook web chat. Now I have to figure how to fix this. The led is on all the time now. Gotta disable it for facebook web chat i think since the problem started right after.

I gotta use my webcam for many things it's vital to me!! HELP!!
I fixed this problem temporary by going to system preferences and then blocking all the sites that use the webcam and suprisely a lot of sites that do not have a webcam ask to use my camera?? huh? I could not find facebook site there anywhere so it uses a different sitename for the camera chat function. sigh. Thanks facebook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Bad top RAM slot TiBook 1GHz | 90% of CPU used by Flash Player (Safari Internet Plug-in) »