New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - MacBook Swap Out

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

diesel828

diesel828 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.

I'm somewhat convinced at this point that Apple will not do this, but I'm wondering if they purchase used equipment. They do sell refurbs as far as I know, so I'm wondering if those come from defective returns or sales from individuals.

What I'd like to do is upgrade to a newer MacBook or even the MB Pro. I need more hard drive space. I wasn't anticipating holding as much work as I have now, so when the MB came out, I only bought the 60GB hard drive thinking I'd keep my desktop. Bad idea. I need at least double that amount of space now, but I'd also like to retain all of my current items and work on my current MacBook.

Is there some way to transfer all of my work, docs and files, photos, songs, movies/tv shows onto a new MacBook?

Thanks for any advice.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
www.myspace.com/callofdoody
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

I'm pretty sure Apple doesn't do trade-ins of any sort. You may want to check out Powermax.com's trade-in program.
It'd probably be cheaper just to buy a larger hard drive. I know you can transfer files to new hard drive, but recommend searching the forum more answers on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

Mac Specs: 2.2GHz Intel Core Duo processor, 120GB hard drive, 2GB RAM, 15" widescreen... pretty basic.

Just got off the phone with Apple for anyone who is in a similar situation with mine. You're right, Apple does not buy or trade. My plan is to first find someone willing to buy my computer, then transfer all my stuff from my current MB to a new one via FireWire.

Now I have to decide on my needs and figure out whether I need a new MacBook or a MacBook Pro.

Thanks again and if anyone can give any tips or advice between the two new computers (i.e. what each would be more appropriate for, cost vs. value, etc.), I'd appreciate it.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

I've decided to buy the Macbook Pro 2.2GHz, 120GB HD model. I just finished transferring all of my files and such via Firewire to it.

I like my new computer a lot and am now selling my Macbook.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

ouch, bought the new before selling the old, thatll cost ya

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
todd51

Well at least you bought the MBP so you get more like better graphics card, but I was going to say if it was just a matter of HD space, you should have just gotten a big external drive, but it seems now that you wanted more than just HD space.

Congrats on the new MBP, I wish I had the newer models with the better graphics card and more HD space. I have the older model from about a year ago.
QUOTE Thanks
diesel828

It turns out I did want more than just hard drive space... and as far as buying the new before selling the old, well, it was much easier to transfer all the information this way, and it's not costing me that much. My brother just agreed to buy my Macbook from me.

This computer is great for anyone considering one.

2.2GHz MacBook Pro
16GB iPhone 3G
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« What would you change on your MacBook? | Problems with PowerBook G4 15in »