New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - MacBook warranty re RAM

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Previous threads regarding Apple warranty seem to be conflicting in regards to third party RAM. Some members say that MacBook is still covered by the warranty even when the original RAM is upgraded with a third party RAM. Others say the original RAMs need to be reinstalled when sending the MacBook for repair because Apple will not honor warranty if third party RAMs are installed.

Is there someone in the forum who can give definitive clarification on the warranty if the original RAM has been replaced. In other words, will Apple still cover my MacBook under warranty if it is sent to them with third party RAM installed?

Many thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
RiDE

RiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond reputeRiDE has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: Mac's

Installing 3rd Party RAM will NOT void your warranty...

Direct from APPLE:
Quote:
Apple Warranty: Installing Memory, Expansion Cards, User Installable Parts Does Not Void Warranty

You may install memory (RAM, VRAM), and other customer-installable parts without voiding your Apple warranty.

Apple's warranty states:

"This warranty does not apply...if the product has been modified without the written permission of Apple..."

Adding memory (DRAM, VRAM) or other user-installable upgrade or expansion products to an Apple computer is not considered a modification to that Apple product. Therefore, it is not necessary to obtain Apple's written permission to upgrade or expand an Apple computer. While Apple strongly recommends that you retain the services of an Apple Authorized Service Provider to perform any product upgrades or expansions, you will not void your Apple warranty if you choose to upgrade or expand your computer yourself. However, if in the course of adding an upgrade or expansion product to your computer, you damage your Apple computer (either through the installation of, or incompatibility of the upgrade or expansion product), Apple's warranty will not cover the cost of repair, or future related repairs.

Warning: Due to the risk of exposure to potentially lethal voltages, you should not under any circumstances separate the plastics of any computer that includes a cathode-ray tube (CRT) in its design, such as the iMac. Only an Apple Authorized Service Provider should separate the plastics of these computers to install an upgrade or make a repair.

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=13946
QUOTE Thanks
primo57

primo57 is on a distinguished road

Just had screen replaced, I've got 3rd party ram they didn't ask about RAM, if problem is not RAM related Apple doesn't care. MB was 7 months old when I got fix.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i just had my MBP screen replaced as well. the mac idiot asked me if i knew there was only 256mb installed when i brought it in.

of course i do. his words were, "we are a little confused why there is only 256 in it, did u know this?"

i then said yes, and told him to fix the screen. There was tons of dust in it, i mean tons. He looked at it, and got rude with my girlfriend saying, "i dont know if its getting anything done to it yet."

man, the appointment started out nice, but went straight downhill.
back to topic, and moral of my story,

3rd party ram is fine if they act like they know more than you and wonder why, tell them to get on their site, and just do their job

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Thanks for your replies. I have peace of mind now coz I sold the original RAM I pulled out of my MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« vga adaptor for G3 | Macbook Won't Boot/Eject DVD-r »