New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Connecting MacBook Pro to Dell 24' wide screen

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

nyzwerewolf

nyzwerewolf is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 15" MBP: 2.40ghz, 4gb ram, 256mb vram

Hey guys,

I have a Dell 24inch wide screen monitor & a MacBookPro. I connected my MacBook Pro to the monitor & the picture is not clear. It is very blury.

My dell monitor has: DVI-D, VGA, S-VIDEO, COMPONENT, COMPOSITE inputs.

My monitor supports upto 1900X1200 pixels.

-DVI-D is occupied by my main PC (windows) running @ 1900X1200 pixels
-VGA is occupied by my MacBook Pro running @ 1900X1200 pixels

I switch the MacBook Pro to DVI-D, and the picture is still blury.

my main PC's picture is very clear and sharp on my monitor. I also connected my HP Laptop to the monitor, ran at 1900X1200, and the picture is very clear and sharp.

what am i doing wrong with the mac?

MacBook Pro :: 2.40 Intel Core 2 Duo @ 800Mhz FSB :: 4GB RAM @ 677Mhz :: 256MB Nvidia 8600 GT
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I can't imagine. I have a Dell 22" screen and it's fine.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
Graegaud

Graegaud is on a distinguished road

I also have a Dell 24" LCD monitor, and the picture is not sharp with either a MacBook Pro 15" or the newer MacBook Pro 17". I've tried DVI and VGA. No matter what I try to do I can't seem to get the Display (via Mac) to match the display on the Dell.

I'm not saying I've solved the problem. I'm just saying that I'm with you and am also looking for a solution.

Graegaud
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

running a 22" here no problem via dvi. something you could do is install xp/vista on the mac, and see what it looks like in there, then you can rule out hardware.

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

I'm running a 22" with VGA and get the same problem. I haven't gotten a DVI cable so I think that may solve my problem.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
nyzwerewolf

wow, so im not alone...

I'm also running the brand new MacBook Pro

i went to the apple store, they told me to bring the laptop in. they said they are going to test it on their displays.. and if it works fine.. they are going to blame it on the dell monitor...

is there any drivers available for dell 24' display for mac?

MacBook Pro :: 2.40 Intel Core 2 Duo @ 800Mhz FSB :: 4GB RAM @ 677Mhz :: 256MB Nvidia 8600 GT
QUOTE Thanks
nyzwerewolf

Alright everyone,

I threw in Windows XP Pro in bootcamp. I connected the MacBookPro to my Dell 24' widescreen. The picture is clear and sharp as it appears on my other pcs.

So, the issue is with the mac osx...

any comments???

QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

i have no idea, but im glad you tried my method, it really limits what you can claim it is ya know

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
ErikVsn

ErikVsn is on a distinguished road

Great I have that exact same monitor and was planning to buy the macbook pro this year. I hope something is resolved

QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Wow that's very strange. I'm saving up for a new MBP and I have a 20" Dell monitor right now. Please keep us updated!

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
bobtomay

bobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond reputebobtomay has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.33 C2D 256 4GB, MBA 13" i7 1.8, MB 2.0 2GB, Nano 4th, 3GS, iPad 1

I have been messing with this issue for 6 months. I use a 26" 720p HDTV for my main computer monitor. Picture is clear with XP and the 6-10 versions of Linux I have had run on it.

Not so with my MBP. Have tried VGA, DVI and HDMI. Not only on that set, but also on my 32" and 55" HDTV's. Watching movies are fine, but anything with text bites the bullit. Have not tried any my new 37" screen.

Have tried many options, that have been recommended on multiple sites. Nothing so far will give as clear a picture as XP and Linux.

However, I am surprised to hear this while using monitors rather than TV's.

I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.
QUOTE Thanks
richieg

richieg is on a distinguished road

Does anyone know if the macbook is the same with a dell 24" monitor?
QUOTE Thanks
SoundsGood

SoundsGood is on a distinguished road

Anyone know if this problem occurs with Dell's 20" Monitor? (2007WFP)
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundsGood View Post
Anyone know if this problem occurs with Dell's 20" Monitor? (2007WFP)
Mine is clear. A "Rev A01" version, manufactured February 2005 in Mexico.

I thought I've heard that Dell recently changed the 20" model and it isn't as good. So you may want to wait for an answer from more recent buyers.
QUOTE Thanks
xstep

xstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to allxstep is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 2011 MBP, i7, 16GB RAM, MBP 2.16Ghz Core Duo, 2GB ram, Dual 867Mhz MDD, 1.75GB ram, ATI 9800 Pro vid

What I'm wondering from the people complaining; is the problem just the text, or are images and icons also blurry?

Try this. Capture a screen image from Windows and copy it to your Mac (or Mac partition) and display it on your Mac with varying viewing tools. How does that image look? And use the same connector, perferably digital.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Can't log into powerbook. | Killdisk a mac? »