New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook and Wireless Internet

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

integra220

Hi all. At the moment I have a wireless network in my flat. I'm using a Linksys router to split the connection between me and my flatmate's laptop.

I'm just wondering if all I need for the iBook is the AirPort Extreme card to be able to use the wirleless connection?

Also, am I able to run my ibook through my PC monitor?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

I can answer your question about the router, but am not too familiar about the PC monitor. All you need for your iBook to connect to your Linksys router is an Airport Extreme card. Install it, turn on the laptop, and it will see the connection right away. That is what I use at home and although I can't get a full signal, even when I am right next to the router, it works well.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

You will need to get the VGA adapter from apple to use the PC monitor but iBooks do not support panning monitors so it will just mirror what your iBook shows

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Originally Posted by trpnmonkey41
You will need to get the VGA adapter from apple to use the PC monitor but iBooks do not support panning monitors so it will just mirror what your iBook shows
Mine came with the adapter (I believe all iBooks do), so there shouldn't be a problem hooking it up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedbusa
I can answer your question about the router, but am not too familiar about the PC monitor. All you need for your iBook to connect to your Linksys router is an Airport Extreme card. Install it, turn on the laptop, and it will see the connection right away. That is what I use at home and although I can't get a full signal, even when I am right next to the router, it works well.
Are you using the latest Airport software version, and are you certain the antenna is plugged in securely? I get excellent reception with my iBook, even when I'm two floors below the Linksys router.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

I have the latest airport software and my antenna is plugged in as far as it can go. I can get about 3/4 of a signal. but not full. Nevertheless, it works flawlessly especially with the Camino browser.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold

Its strange with most of the iBooks and the AE cards i never see them get full signal on the wireless.

I have the Titanium PB with standard AirPort and I get full signal in my room which is 3rd floor front of the house with a router 1st floor back of the house

QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Its strange with most of the iBooks and the AE cards i never see them get full signal on the wireless.

I have the Titanium PB with standard AirPort and I get full signal in my room which is 3rd floor front of the house with a router 1st floor back of the house
My iBook is using standard Airport as well. I wonder if that has something to do with it? It gets exceptional reception - the best out of any of the wireless products we've used in my house.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

So you think that if I swapped my Airport extreme card with a regular Airport card, I would have better reception? That is weird.
QUOTE Thanks
integra220

Loads of replies. Just wondering, what's the difference between the two Airport cards?
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

Well you cant just switch the cards because they are different size and not compatible with each other.

Airport is 802.11b
Airport Extreme is 802.11g which is faster

QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

Quote:
Well you cant just switch the cards because they are different size and not compatible with each other.

Airport is 802.11b
Airport Extreme is 802.11g which is faster
11 mb verse 54 mb.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
pcjabber

Quote:
Certain iBooks can use multiple monitors. Read about it in MacAddict issue 94 (Jun 04). Tip #33: "Span Your Screen"
Quote:
Originally Posted by MacAddict 94, Tip #33
As far back as the PowerBook G3 (Bronze Keyboard), Apple's PowerBooks have supported the ability to span your desktop from the built-in display to a second external display. But did you know there's a hack to make that work on certain iBooks and iMacs that don't have this capability? Whether this hack works depends on your Mac's internal video circuitry. For example, it should work on the iBook G3/700 and faster (and some 600MHz models), the iBook G4 models, the 17- and 20-inch iMac G4s (and very recent 15-inchers) and the eMac models with the ATI Radeon 7500 graphics card. See http://www.rutemoeller.com/mp/ibook/ibook_e.html for the compatibility list, the disclaimer, and the software you need to make this work.
Now, to cover my butt:
I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR THE CONTENT OF THAT PAGE, OR ANY DAMAGE YOU MAY DO TO YOUR iBook, iMac, eMac, or other machine WITH THAT PATCH. USE AT YOUR OWN RISK.

--PCjabber
QUOTE Thanks
nesuser2

Well I'm no expert but having used wireless access points of various types all over my house, I will note the following.

Wireless G is rated higher but you won't notice that big of a difference when running on the internet.

Wireless B runs alot smoother than G in my honest opinion. I've had B in both of my ibooks and they get outstanding reception. Not only great reception, but I can load sites faster on my ibook wirelessly than I can on my PC with a direct connection.

Wireless G, all you ever hear is people complain about weak signal strength. When I first bought my G router, it wouldn't stay connected for more than 3 minutes or so...so on most chat programs with a real connection......up and down goes your connection.

I personally thing G is pretty buggy compared to B. As well, Extreme of G really isn't worth the extra money.

For reference, I'm running

Linksys B router
Belkin G router
Linksys wireless PC card(B)
Linksys wireless PCMCIA card(B)
Belkin wireless PCMCIA card(G)
Apple Airport Card(B)
Soon to be Apple Airport and we'll see how good that treats me!

As well, I've only ever owned a G3 ibook and the original Airport card...so I'm curious, what is the deal with the card size. I see somebody mentions above that you can't just swap them? That's pretty odd if you ask me. So, I couldn't put the airport extreme card in my G3 book, and a G4 book can't use the original? Just curious, good info to know
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

The extreme card is a square fat thing and if i remember correctly the normal airport card looks a bit like a pcmcia card (i.e. more like a big credit card)

edit:

I just opened up my keyboard to check out the airport extreme card, and that thing is TINY!

I thought it'd be like a square pci card judging by it's retail box (i've only seen them in stores as mine came pre-installed) but it's more like the siye of two thumbs next to each other (wierd description i know, but i can't think of any other general references...
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Warranty fine print...this is bad! | AppleWorks 6 (Panther version) »