New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Got my new Powerbook! But need help!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

citystar2k

citystar2k is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 12" 1.33 GHz PowerBook w/SuperDrive, 60GB HDD, 1.25G RAM.

Hi, got my new 12" 1.33 GHz Powerbook 20 mins ago, a real beautiful thing, but i need a little help. I paid for a 1gig memory stick but when i go into about this mac to check the specs of the Powerbook, it's saying the second memory slot is empty, any reason why this is?
QUOTE Thanks
jerodhusvar

Quote:
Originally Posted by citystar2k
Hi, got my new 12" 1.33 GHz Powerbook 20 mins ago, a real beautiful thing, but i need a little help. I paid for a 1gig memory stick but when i go into about this mac to check the specs of the Powerbook, it's saying the second memory slot is empty, any reason why this is?
When you go to "About This Mac" does it say you have 1gb of memory? It's possible it was shipped with a single 1gb stick in it. If it doesn't, call the place where you bought it.

jjh
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodhusvar
When you go to "About This Mac" does it say you have 1gb of memory? It's possible it was shipped with a single 1gb stick in it. If it doesn't, call the place where you bought it.

jjh

No, it's just the basic 256k, i paid for an additional 1gig, but it doesnt show, just says the slot is empty.
QUOTE Thanks
jerodhusvar

Quote:
No, it's just the basic 256k, i paid for an additional 1gig, but it doesnt show, just says the slot is empty.
I'd be making a phone call, and fast. Does your invoice show the 1gig upgrade on it? If they charged you for it and you didn't get it, I'd be a might offended.

jjh
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerodhusvar
I'd be making a phone call, and fast. Does your invoice show the 1gig upgrade on it? If they charged you for it and you didn't get it, I'd be a might offended.

jjh
Phoned them up, they did install it but it doesnt register at all, so they're collecting and sorting it out for me. I would try and do myself, but due to the high level of static i pick up from my work place, i dont wanna fry the memory and whatever.
QUOTE Thanks
Padawan

Padawan has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 14" iBook G3 900/640/40 _ _ Power Macintosh G3 All-In-One 315/768/20 _ _ 20 GB iPod

Quote:
Have you physically checked the slot to see if the stick is there? Perhaps you just need to reseat the stick.

~ Support the LANCE ARMSTRONG FOUNDATION -- LAF.org ~

Do you drive a Civic, Del Sol, or Integra & want more power & tighter steering feel? Click here for my inexpensive DIY Power-Steering Removal Kits.
QUOTE Thanks
jerodhusvar

Quote:
Phoned them up, they did install it but it doesnt register at all, so they're collecting and sorting it out for me. I would try and do myself, but due to the high level of static i pick up form my work place, i dont wanna fry the memory and whatever.
If you can find a good way to ground yourself, ie, a wrist strap you can get at Radio Shack for $5, it wouldn't hurt to check yourself. The memory may have just popped loose in shipping. I don't even usually use a ground strap, but I'm brave like that. (Or is it stupid like that...)

jjh
QUOTE Thanks
citystar2k

I'd rather leave it to the place that i bought the PowerBook from, we don't have Apple Stores here in the UK, some Apple Centres though, like the place i got mine from. I've waited long enough to get a PowerBook, actually was gonna be an iBook till Apple upgraded the PowerBook and iBook lines, and i thought just pay that little bit more for the PowerBook, it'll be worth it. Can't wait to run Premiere and PhotoShop through it, i hope it blows my laptop out of the water.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Apple and their hard drive company should both go to hell! | New mac user...advice would be much appreciated thanks! »