New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My MacBook makes me more frustrated everyday.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Ugh... I hate my MacBook. Ever since Apple moved away from making Macs in Taiwan, quality control has been pure crap. Let's have a list of problems, shall we?

Problems with my MacBook
  • Newly dicovered wrist rest discoloring
  • Random Shutdown Syndrome
  • Buzzing fan
  • Problems similar to that of the logic board of a a problematic iBook(lines accross screen, video occasionally freezing)
  • The Fan: The fan is spinning fast, but not doing much to keep it cool. It spends 90 percent of the time at 6200 RPM, the fan's maximum speed.
  • Incredibly slow
  • Volume will randomly adjust if I move the computer around (sometimes, this isn't all the time)
  • Sharp edges
  • iSight causing conflict on motherboard with speakers, causing them to randomly make a very loud beeping sound.
  • iSight turning on when not needed, therefore wasting the battery
  • MagSafe whines
  • MagSafe light turns off sometimes, even though it is still working
  • Scratches way too easily.
  • USB Keyboards/mice make it freeze sometimes
  • Connecting an external screen is very troublesome

I'm very angry. I hate my MacBook.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

I've read that there has been some problems periodically with overzealous use of thermal compound on the CPUs. That might account for your high temps and constant fan cycles. Have you voiced any of these concerns with Apple?

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
ki99

ki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the roughki99 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: Macbook(W) 2GHz, 80GB HD, 1G RAM, Windows XP

hmm... i absolutely love my macbook, i have only had it for about 6 months, but no discoloration thus far, it has never randomly shutdown, video has never frozen, my fan only gets up to 6200 when i'm using a demanding program, it seems incredibly fast! volume has never randomly adjusted, the edges are way to sharp, the only time i've heard a beep caused by isight is while using imovie, and it only happens once. isight turning on?:S that's really weird, mine is only on when i have a camera program open:S, my magsafe makes no such noise... the light has never turned off. it does scratch easily, i use a usb mouse all the time and no freezing. and as for an external screen, i have never tried, although unless it is an apple screen, i can see it being hard to do..

don't hate, love
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

If you're still under warranty, hit up Apple for repairs. I had a similar list of problems with my MacBook; I bought mine when they first came out. Big mistake, I'll never buy first generation hardware again! Anyway, I took it down to the Apple store and they installed a new logic board ($1,224 bill paid under warranty). No more problems after that! Your MacBook should be perfect; if it isn't, take it to Apple for repairs. I've been fairly pleased with their service so far.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice

it's going in to repair pretty quick. I'm just gonna make a case number by calling apple.
QUOTE Thanks
iRock

iRock will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by cwa107 View Post
I've read that there has been some problems periodically with overzealous use of thermal compound on the CPUs. That might account for your high temps and constant fan cycles. Have you voiced any of these concerns with Apple?
Yeah i have seen some posts on this, especially that dude with his MBP, its just not good enough IMO.
QUOTE Thanks
Benjamindaines

Benjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really niceBenjamindaines is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro

Complaining about it here's not going to get anything done about it. Go to an Apple Store or send it into AppleCare and get it fixed.

QUOTE Thanks
Ryan13

Ryan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really niceRyan13 is just really nice

I had a lot of issues with mine and they replaced everything except the CD drive inside my computer and it has been working good since then.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

I know that, BenjaminDaines. Ever heard of venting?
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRye View Post
I know that, BenjaminDaines. Ever heard of venting?
If you really want to Vent, you can try what those Two videos showed here a few days ago, A Sledgehammer or a Pick Axe!

dtravis7 runs for cover from iRye and his Axe!! hahahahah
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

Haha. *carefully disassembles macbook, and then smashes fan with a sledgehammer*
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.10.1, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRye View Post
Haha. *carefully disassembles macbook, and then smashes fan with a sledgehammer*
Have them give you the old Fan and then you can destroy it!
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

Heh, I was actually thinking of that
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

To whoever gave me that neg rep, I was only frustrated. I didn't mean to be rude.
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Wasn't me.

Anyway, I would say that you have described the very definition of a Lemon. We have two macbooks (black, white) and it exhibits none of those problems.

Just Magic Eraser'd my wrist rests and they're as good as new.

I'll kind of agree with you on the sharp edges. I just avoid them whenver possible.

And I have a DVD drive that 'grooves up' CD/DVDs if you tilt the computer while the drive is spinning. I'm taking it in to Apple tomorrow. I've procrastinated because it doesn't do it to the media unless I move it, and I have to spend a Macbook-less night. Got my old Mac Mini that I suppose could stand in for awhile. It has bluetooth, but how to pair a bluetooth wireless keyboard/mouse to a machine without built-in keyboard? Guess I'll have to use the other wireless keyboard mouse. Waaaa!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport connector in G4 12"? | Is it powerful enough for me? »