New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus • Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts • Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

My MacBook makes me more frustrated everyday.

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

chordstrummer

chordstrummer is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook 2.0 C2D, 2 gig RAM

About the sharp edges, just sand them down. I'm a new Mac user (less than a month), and I don't take credit for this idea -- read it here, or on one of the other boards.

Get some 320, 600, and 1,000 grit sandpaper, and some blue painters tape. Mask off the wrist/palm guards and the sides of the case, and have at it. Took all of 15 minutes to smooth the edges and did not change the appearance whatsoever, except ...

Be careful and go slow at first to get a feel for how much material you have to remove (it isn't a lot at all, you just want to round the edge a bit) -- and try not to cry too much when you gouge the side of your shiny new MacBook like I did (hence my recommendation of the blue painters tape).
QUOTE Thanks
chrisiw

chrisiw is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: iMac, iPad, MacBook Pro.

My MacBook is the best lappy I have ever owned and no problems except the top sharp edge, this to my mind is just very poor design, but overall I love it.
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Alright, so here's the deal. I'm taking it in to the nice apple store on either tuesday or Wednesday. I'll be on vacation until...um... tuesday, i think. I'm always on the lookout for an older machine, so PM me. has to be portable
QUOTE Thanks
cramar

cramar is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black MacBook 2GB RAM, 22" Samsung WS monitor, Apple Bluetooth KB & Mighty Mouse, Airport Extreme BS

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRye View Post
Ugh... I hate my MacBook. Ever since Apple moved away from making Macs in Taiwan, quality control has been pure crap. Let's have a list of problems, shall we?

Problems with my MacBook
  • Connecting an external screen is very troublesome
Definitely a lemon. My MacBook has none of those problems—not even the sharp edges! I'm curious about external screen. What do you mean by "troublesome"? I'm amazed at how smooth and natural the MB runs a separate monitor. Beautiful integration and functioning. Just like they were born for each other.
QUOTE Thanks
cwa107

cwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond reputecwa107 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: 15" MBP, Core i7/2GHz, 8GB RAM, 480GB Crucial M500 SSD

Quote:
Originally Posted by cramar View Post
Definitely a lemon. My MacBook has none of those problems—not even the sharp edges! I'm curious about external screen. What do you mean by "troublesome"? I'm amazed at how smooth and natural the MB runs a separate monitor. Beautiful integration and functioning. Just like they were born for each other.
I have quite a bit of trouble with some external displays. Sometimes the MBP wants to change the resolution on the internal display to what it should be on the external (it gets the two confused). Sometimes it just picks the lowest common denominator for both displays. Very seldom do I get it to detect perfectly on the first try - even with brand new LCD projectors. It seems that my 37" Sharp Aquos is about the only display it plays nicely with.

I can definitely relate to this frustration - especially if you're trying to put a presentation together in front of an audience.

One tip, though - I find that it helps if you put the Displays icon in the menu bar, this will give you the option to easily see what resolutions are set, how the monitor is being detected and allow you to easily change things (for the most part). You can enable this by going to System Preferences => Displays => Check "Show displays in menu bar".

Liquid and computers don't mix. It might seem simple, but we see an incredible amount of people post here about spills. Keep drinks and other liquids away from your expensive electronics!
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

WOW... iRye best of luck with the repairs.

Honestly since I gotten my Black MacBook it has been nothing but WONDERFUL. None of those issues... well other than the Sharp Edges but that doesn't really bother me at all, it ain't that sharp to be honest.

But I have to agree it probably is a LEMON.

Again good luck with the repairs and hopefully that hate will turn into absolute LOVE.

MacBooks Rule

Cheers
QUOTE Thanks
Z mann R2

Z mann R2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRye View Post

Problems with my MacBook
  • Newly dicovered wrist rest discoloring

I'm very angry. I hate my MacBook.
awwww poor wittle white macbook owner....Whaaaa!!! BlackBooks Rule baby!!!
QUOTE Thanks
walkerj

walkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nicewalkerj is just really nice
Mac Specs: 13" Macbook Pro 2.26Ghz Unibody 4G RAM 160G HDD Superdrive

Well, I just got my Macbook back from the Apple store hospital.

No more groovy CD drive! Yay!

Also, my wife's Blackbook doesn't groove up CDs, I tested it.

So now it's down to sharp edges, which can be easily avoided. Think I'll upgrade the RAM to 2gig. Apple said it would cost $350 plus $30 labor to upgrade at the store, so I grabbed my Messenger bag* and hauled azz outta there!

*Not really, I keep it in a backpack.
QUOTE Thanks
Z mann R2

Z mann R2 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Blackbook, 2GHz Core Duo. 16Gb iPod Touch

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkerj View Post
Think I'll upgrade the RAM to 2gig. Apple said it would cost $350 plus $30 labor to upgrade at the store, so I grabbed my Messenger bag* and hauled azz outta there!
oh my!! Haha....thats nuts!
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

I am hoping to get it in tomorrow. I feel that the general build quality isn't very good, as the screen wobbles when closed, and it creaks when you move it around
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Airport connector in G4 12"? | Is it powerful enough for me? »