New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Does processor speed affect internet browsing?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

wickedbusa

This might be a stupid question, but does processor speed affect the speed at which you browse at? For example, I have an iBook G4 800. If I stepped up to a 1.5 ghz Powerbook, would browsing the internet be substantially faster than with my iBook provided I am still on my breadband connection here at home? I notice that loading web pages sometimes takes forever and sometimes it is really fast. It usually doesn't matter if I am on wireless or ethernet. On my old 2.66 ghz Compaq laptop, I would be able to load web pages really quick.
QUOTE Thanks
trpnmonkey41

trpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to beholdtrpnmonkey41 is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: 20" iMac C2D 2.16ghz, 13" MacBook 2.0ghz, 60gb iPod vid, 1gb nano

nope processor speed would not change that....What you might be experiencing is just a slowdown of the connection because of too many people in your area on at the same time

Don't forget to use the new User Reputation System
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Right, and as the interenet connection is the speed limiting factor, sometimes the actual site is being hit enough to slow a bit
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

I just notice that if I am plugged into my router via ethernet and click the same webpage on my desktop at the same time, my dektop always pulls up the page a lot quicker.
QUOTE Thanks
wickedbusa

I think I solved my problem. I'm using Camino as my browser now and the web pages load up quick!
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

empty out your preferences and cookies/cacke for safari..and it should speed up.
QUOTE Thanks
Absolute Zero

Absolute Zero is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: PowerBook 12" Combo Drive/867 MHz/256 MB RAM/40 GB hard drive/Mac OS X 10.3.5/AirPort Extreme it sux

Emptying the chache slows everything down... the cache is what makes Safari so fast.
QUOTE Thanks
nicholas

Maybe he meant emptying the history.
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Well all - - history cache cookies should be deleted on a regular basis
QUOTE Thanks
joe_joe133

I have a 1.4GHz, 512MB ram, 80gb hdd, gf3 64mb gfx, and i have had no problems normally if its slow its the website like ebay cause so many people are on it i used an old 100mhz with 24mb ram and a 850mb hdd, 1mb gfx and it could download files at max 120kb/sec but loading websites was like 56k cause the hdd was so slow and ram was always maxed both pcs use windows but that doen't make any difference.
QUOTE Thanks
Defaultuser

Defaultuser is on a distinguished road

nop it has nothing 2 do with the internet browsing speed !!
QUOTE Thanks
Aptmunich

Aptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant futureAptmunich has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Aluminium Macbook 2.4 Ghz 4GB RAM, SSD 24" Samsung Display, iPhone 4, iPad 2

Look at the date this thread was started guys...
I think the issue has been sorted
QUOTE Thanks
alexmaccoll

alexmaccoll is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 20" intel iMac, 15" MBP, 3 X 13.3" MB (family etc), G4 tower, 12" G4 PowerBook, iBook G4, 20" iMacG5

Download firefox and then do this, realy does work for the internet:
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/1299854/posts

Alex
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Mac display - too white? | bluetooth pictures »