New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

iBook - Recently started to run much slower

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

maxwell690

maxwell690 is on a distinguished road

I bought a iBook a couple of years ago and it has recently started running much slower. I have mainmenu which repairs the disk permissions and runs the maintence scripts each week.

It's a PPC 1.33 (512 RAM), running Panther and an 80gb hard drive.

The hard drive has about 70gb worth of data on it. itunes in particular is geting much slower (guess its the album covers that cause the problems).

Which bit of my machine is likely to be causing the problems. I figured it was likely to be the RAM. The iBook I've got only has one slot (with 256 built in). Is it worth spending 60 (about $120 dollars) on upgrading my exiting 256 to a 1gb card or is the rest of my system so slow that the upgrade will mkae little difference.

Thanks in advance
QUOTE Thanks
fearlessfreap24

fearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nicefearlessfreap24 is just really nice
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 13" | MacBook Pro 13" | Mac Mini 2GHz C2D

it is always worth the money to upgrade the ram.

QUOTE Thanks
Finx_1

Finx_1 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: G4 Cube 450Mhz 1Gb Ram, iBook G4 1.2Ghz 1.25Gb RAM

Seriously it is more then worth it.. also with the slowing down..
I'm very new to mac's but with my regular PC laptop Installing loads out software will obviously slow it down.. due to small files running for everyother application, even when not using them....

so if you have software you dont use.. uninstall it.. you can always reinstall it..

but u got a gud little computer there.. get the most out of it!!!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Plugging in Extra Monitors | iBook G3/800 enough for Divx? »