Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.2 C2D, 2GB Ram, 128MB GeForce 8600M GT
    Heat issues with new MacBook Pro?
    Firstly...hey everyone. Am soon to be a pc -> mac convert and can't wait

I know apple have just updated their line of MacBook's (5th of june?) and thats one of the reasons I have waited a long time. I was just wondering if they have addressed the issues of heat associated with the older version? I could only find out that they have updated the specs etc etc.

From my experience with Intel processors they just seem to run so **** hot. My Intel laptop is unbelievable for it yet I know people with AMD laptops who can just lie on the bed all day and barely even hear a fan all day long.

Whether they have or haven't...I am getting a Mac...but this is potentially one issue which would be nice to be able to live without.

Specs:
    2.33Ghz Core2Duo MacBook Pro /// 2.2Ghz Core2Duo MacBook
    I have a 2.33Ghz MacBook Pro & haven't had any heat issues with it. 4 months strong and don't have any problems using it for prolonged periods not on a table. That being said, I don't ever do anything intensive without a mouse >>> therefore needing a table.

Don't forget to use the reputation system!
    My Setup

Specs:
    15" MBP, 2.2 C2D, 2GB Ram, 128MB GeForce 8600M GT
    From what I heard the fans were very noisy at some points and the general heat coming off of them was very bad. I know upon inspection apple had thrown a load of thermal paste onto the processor and completely smothered the core. It was a right mess but this didn't actually lead to much temperature increase. So I guess it is just those cursedly hot intel chips

Specs:
    MacBook Pro 2.6 w/4 gigs, Mac Pro Dual Quad 2.8's with 16 gigs of Ram, iMac 21" i5
    I have had a new 2.4 Macbook Pro for a few days now. It does run slighty hotter than my old 2.16, but it is still stable and very quiet. This machine has been working great for me, and I almost never hear the fans, even when working with multiple apps open and working with a heavy processor load. I think that the GPU it the hottest addition to the new Macbook Pro, but that purely opinion on my part.

Specs:
    15" MBP Core Duo 2.0GHz 1.5GB, 20" iMac C2D 2.4GHz 4GB, PowerPC G4 500MHz 512MB
    Macs run significantly cooler than their PC brethren.

Specs:
    MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt
    Quote Originally Posted by RONE View Post
    Macs run significantly cooler than their PC brethren.
    apples to oranges... And no, this isnt always true. Not enough to make this statement
    2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt

Specs:
    17" PB G4 1.67GHz DL
    There are plenty of threads (here? and) on other forums with people complaining that their MBPs also work as a utility to cook eggs etc. and that the fans go crazy.

Specs:
    iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D
    Quote Originally Posted by ghettochild View Post
    There are plenty of threads (here? and) on other forums with people complaining that their MBPs also work as utility to cook eggs etc. and that the fans go crazy.
    Love the avatar...can you just get her to lower that MBP for a second...?
    "Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
    MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/

Specs:
    15" MBP '06 2.33 C2D 4GB 10.7; 13" MBA '14 1.8 i7 8GB 10.11; 21" iMac '13 2.9 i5 8GB 10.11; 6S
    Yes, the current AMD processors are cooler than the current generation of Intel processors. (Although, I have not looked at comparisons with the new Santa Rosa chip.) AMD is also a generation behind in terms of performance right now. There is a reason all of the $400 & $500 notebooks have AMD chips and onboard video in them.

After several months of use though, I would say the processor is not the primary culprit when it comes to heat in my MBP. About the only time I hear the fans at all is when I start up something like WoW and start pushing the video card. The video card is quick to respond, heat up and kick the fans in. You will not want it sitting in your lap, or on the bed blocking the fans in this mode for any length of time. Lapstands are highly recommended.

My suggestion - if someone doesn't want to deal with a heat issue, stick with an integrated video card, and you really won't have to deal with the heat issue all that much.

My own personal opinion - For a gamer, 3D modeler, someone heavy into a lot of audio / video encoding, or even someone that's going to use any app that'll push the video card or CPU usage to around 100% for prolonged periods of time, learn to live with it, whether a Mac or Windows machine. Or better yet, get a desktop - problem solved.
    I cannot be held responsible for the things that come out of my mouth.
    In the Windows world, most everything folks don't understand is called a virus.

I don't find heat any problem at all. I've only had my Macbook a few weeks and use it on my lap in bed for several hours, and then when the battery drains, I put it on my desk and plug it in and use it there. I installed the widget ProStats(?) and keep an eye on the temperature, never goes above 62 which is the highest I've ever seen it. I think Macbooks are designed to shutdown at 1000 so as not to cause damage. Eitherway, it never gets uncomfortably hot on my lap, warmer than a desk but that's to be expected but I just make sure the back and the fans aren't being covered or blocked, and there's no chance of them dragging in gross fluff from my bedsheets

I don't think the Macbook Pros are much different to this.
    -Donna.

My Titanium 15 inch..is very hot !! Yet my Ibook is cool...

cant win !!

Specs:
    30GB 5.5G iPod | 2.16GHz MacBook Pro Core 2 Duo
    get a product like iLap if you find your MBP too hot. Or get a program like Fan Control Preference Pane and adjust the fan settings to the highest
    =||2.16GHz base model MBP||30GB 5.5 iPod||4GB 1st Gen iPod Nano (crushed)||512MB 1st Gen iPod Shuffle (mum's using it now)||=

Specs:
    27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 6, iPad Air 2, 4th gen Apple TV
    I keep my MBP closed and on my keyboard tray of the desk when I'm at home. Sometimes I can feel the warmth of the MBP through the 3/4 inch thick wood tray! But that's also running closed, so heat can't escape as well.

I agree with bobtomay about the video card culprit. When I'm gaming I have to keep the screen open and put it up on my desktop or it'll have a meltdown for sure. But that's going to happen with any computer running 3D graphics constantly for a long time. That being said, I've for extremely extended periods of time gaming and it's never shut down on me or anything odd like that, which some desktops have been known to do.
    "Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"

Specs:
    MBP 2.4GHz, 4096MB RAM, 160GB 7200RPM SATA, Glossy TFT
    Unhappy Agh!
    I expect at least some heat considering the 2.4GHz C2D and the 8600 GPU but hopfully not too much heat... I've just spent over £2k on mine (spec below) so hopefully it won't nearly melt like my Acer laptop did, hehe!

Specs:
    Mac mini w/ 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo, 2GB 667Mhz DDR2 SDRAM
    Quote Originally Posted by y04chs067 View Post
    get a product like iLap if you find your MBP too hot. Or get a program like Fan Control Preference Pane and adjust the fan settings to the highest
    We've got a couple of iLaps here in the office...and I was planning on getting one once I picked up my new MBP.

Thread Information