New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Which mac may be the best for me?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

tyner100

tyner100 is on a distinguished road

as of now my budget is 3k

im still trying to decide between mac/windows

the mac side of it im looking at a 15'' pro 17'' pro and a 24'' imac.

im wondering if some one could give me the plus minus on the screen size, i tried talked to an apple sales person over the phone, she sounded more like she wanted a date than to sell me a mac. The nearest mac store is about 2 hours away, so its kinda out of the question, ive been soaring over the site for the last week.

i cant decide.. so i thought i would ask some experts.

please give me your knowledge or your opinion. They will both mean a great deal to me.

Uses for this computer:

School
Gaming
Selling real estate
*portable? mabye?* idk

buyer:

17 year old male

loves his windows machine
loves running linux
likes to have nice things.

mk now that you know... RESPOND
QUOTE Thanks
IAmBen

IAmBen is on a distinguished road

I say stick with the 15" and save a little money. I don't know that the added screen space will make a ton of difference if you're just gaming on it (as opposed to graphic design or something). Given that you're 17 and likely headed to college, a laptop will be much more useful than an iMac when you get there.
QUOTE Thanks
tyner100

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBen View Post
I say stick with the 15" and save a little money. I don't know that the added screen space will make a ton of difference if you're just gaming on it (as opposed to graphic design or something). Given that you're 17 and likely headed to college, a laptop will be much more useful than an iMac when you get there.
thank you. Anyone else have comments?
QUOTE Thanks
yogi

yogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to allyogi is a name known to all
Mac Specs: iMac Core i5, iPad, iPhone 4

I too would opt for a portable, and I'd opt for the 15 inch, unless you need some large apps like Photoshop or InDesign to layout on a huge screen.

It's nice and compact, and good for all uses, especially at out age.

You must have heard you can run Windows on a Mac, but be sure to check out Mac OS X - you might not want Windows anymore.

If you liked this post, consider using the Reputation System.
QUOTE Thanks
metalsam

metalsam is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: 1.67ghz powerbook G4, 1GB RAM, 100GB HD.

Yeah, I at university (college for americans ?) now and I got a powerbook halfway through my first year. Its excellent for working on, doing reports etc.

Found OSX way nicer than windows, in terms of usuability and looks, and its pretty easy to pick up.

You might want to get MS Office for macs though. I know theres open source versions you can get for free, but you said you like nice things, and they dont look as nice as MS Office.

So yeah, Id also say go for the 15" and upgrade hte RAM and HD - gives you some portability which is ace for labs, or putting on a playlist at a party
QUOTE Thanks
Robzilla

Robzilla is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8

I have to agree with everyone on the laptop part of it, but personally I love the 17" screen, plus the firewire 800 bus is nice to have with external harddrives. I do a lot of video and photo editing so that's whay I made my choice in that direction.
QUOTE Thanks
tyner100

im soo getting one very soon!

any other thoughts?
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« "you can not install mac osx on this partition" | Which one? »