New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - GeForce 8600M GT vs Mobility Radeon x1600

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

andrewc

andrewc is on a distinguished road

Can anybody confirm that the 8600M GT is better than the previously used ATI Mobility X1600 and explain why this exactly is? I know that the 8600M supports DirectX 10.0 whereas X1600 only supports DirectX 9.0, but what is it that gives this GeForce card the advantage? I've always been a ATI supporter and am I little bit disappointed that they switched to nVidia.

Also, is the GeForce 8600M GT 256MB upgrade significant to the 128MB?

Any input given has my appreciation. Thanks.
QUOTE Thanks
mesha

mesha is on a distinguished road

You can see on this link
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Mobile-...ist.844.0.html
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The X1600 and the 8600 are both mid-range cards. The main difference is that the X1600 is from the previous generation whereas the 8600 is the current generation. So this means that the 8600 has support for newer technologies, one in particular is DirectX 10. Also, since the mid-range card is often a slightly crippled version of the higher end model, it is also faster than the mid-range card from the previous generation.

So while they're both mid-range cards, since the 8600 is the latest in tech, it's the superior card.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

while an OK question to ask...

i dont see apple downgrading the pro from a x1600 to something slower.

they just dont do stuff like that

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
fleurya

fleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to allfleurya is a name known to all
Mac Specs: 27" iMac 2.7GHz Core i5, iPhone 4S, 3rd gen iPad

I've heard numbers as high as 60% better performance; can't remember the source of that info though.

"Give so much time to the improvement of yourself that you have no time to criticize others"
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Wouldn't it just be a driver upgrade from ATI to make the card direct x 10 compatible?

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

No, DirectX support is hardware based, not software

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MaDDoG

MaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really niceMaDDoG is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 24' 7 Snow Leopard + Parallels and Win 7 | 30 Gb iPod | Canon EOS 400D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
No, DirectX support is hardware based, not software
Thanks Kash....after I posted that I had a niggling feeling that it was hardware based.

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass. It's about learning to dance in the rain."
MaDDoG's Photo Gallery - http://mcarfa.smugmug.com/
QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrewc View Post
Can anybody confirm that the 8600M GT is better than the previously used ATI Mobility X1600 and explain why this exactly is? I know that the 8600M supports DirectX 10.0 whereas X1600 only supports DirectX 9.0, but what is it that gives this GeForce card the advantage? I've always been a ATI supporter and am I little bit disappointed that they switched to nVidia.

Also, is the GeForce 8600M GT 256MB upgrade significant to the 128MB?

Any input given has my appreciation. Thanks.
I find that Nvidia cards usually offer better performance.

My Dell notebook has an Nvidia go 7900 gs. Benchmarked, it's leaps and bounds above the x1600 and they're practically same gen chips. It's a 17" Inspiron and not worth comparing to a last gen 17" MBP from some people, but it does have some better hardware in it and I can get a 1920x1200 resolution. The new MBP's are capable of this though.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Village Idiot View Post
I find that Nvidia cards usually offer better performance.

My Dell notebook has an Nvidia go 7900 gs. Benchmarked, it's leaps and bounds above the x1600 and they're practically same gen chips. It's a 17" Inspiron and not worth comparing to a last gen 17" MBP from some people, but it does have some better hardware in it and I can get a 1920x1200 resolution. The new MBP's are capable of this though.
same gen? maybe but u need to be comparing a 7600gt to the x1600, or a x1900 to that 7900gs

why on earth you are comparing a 900 series nvidia to a 600 series ati is beyond me

QUOTE Thanks
Village Idiot

Village Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of lightVillage Idiot is a glorious beacon of light
Mac Specs: Sooper Fast!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
same gen? maybe but u need to be comparing a 7600gt to the x1600, or a x1900 to that 7900gs

why on earth you are comparing a 900 series nvidia to a 600 series ati is beyond me
It was the only card that apple offered in their top of the line notebooks at the moment.

Nvidia just made an amazing gpu with the go 7900gs. It could be over clocked in the laptop and with a few other tweaks, it wouldn't even cause a great deal of heat and it would perform almost as well at the go 7900gt. Dell just happened to offer that in their 17" inspiron.

Chaotic Evil, Level 1 IT-Tech

Slough Roast Blog
Capitol Sound Blog
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

yea id take a 7900 any day over my x1600

but for some people, the x1600 is even too much

im glad apple switched to nvidia, i was waiting for that. theyll probably go and switch back before its time for me to buy though

QUOTE Thanks
dkizzy

dkizzy is on a distinguished road

Well the nvidia will rock it out of course, but the x1600 is capable of much better performance than what apple clocked the chip at, they UNDERCLOCKED it (yes be mad) because they wanted the mbp to run cooler. That chip can run up to 475mhz safely according to ATI. So yes the nvidia will outperform but if you OC your x1600 you'll see possibly a less drastic performance difference. Probably 60% would be more like 30-40% difference with OC job.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« something to protect the keyboard/wrist area | Mac booting up w/ two black bars on sides of screen, looks like a safe mode? »