New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - My MacBook won't turn on

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Billbeme

Billbeme is on a distinguished road

Dear Users,
As the title states, my MacBook won't turn on. I have an appt. at the local store tomorrow, but wanted to see if there was anything I could do before then. I was downloading the podcast of Steve Jobs and Bill Gates. The settings on my computer were set to put it to sleep in fifteen minutes. I am in the process of shopping for a removable hard drive so I can back up my memories, and now I am freaking a bit. Can anyone at least reassure me that my data will still be there?!

-Bill
QUOTE Thanks
OSURico112

OSURico112 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Black Macbook 2ghz C2D, 2gig Ram, 120gig HD / 60gig Black Ipod Video / 2nd Gen Ipod Shuffle

So upon hitting the power button, the book doesn't try to boot up at all? no flashing lights, any sound?

CPU 2ghz C2D Black Mackbook/2gigs Ram/120gigHDD
Camera Canon Digital Rebel XT (350D)
Lenses Canon 18mm-55mm/100mm Macro/75-300mm/70-200f/4L/10-22 UWA
Check Out My Work
QUOTE Thanks
Billbeme

Billbeme is on a distinguished road

No boot, no noise, no response, no nothing!!
QUOTE Thanks
JMO

JMO is on a distinguished road

Might be a dumb question but did you try plugging it in? Maybe the battery is just dead.
QUOTE Thanks
dtravis7

dtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond reputedtravis7 has a reputation beyond repute
Mac Specs: iMac 2.4 C2D 10.9.4, iMac 2.16 C2d 10.6.8, Macbook2007 10.8.4, Mac Mini 10.8.4, iPhone 3GS Note 8!!

Try taking out the battery also.
QUOTE Thanks
tom2008

tom2008 is on a distinguished road

Hi there!

All of a sudden my Mac is not working, I turn it on this morning and the screen went light grey as it is when you start up, but got stuck and start making a repetitive weird sound like a bip, and the flashing light on the right bottom it's flashing intermitent.

It makes the sound like when you turn it on, but afterwards it gets stuck and start with this weird sound and the light.

I already try by pulling out the battery and pressing the buttoms command+option+p+r all together.

Any advice?

Thanks
QUOTE Thanks
iRye

iRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really niceiRye is just really nice
Mac Specs: PowerBook G4 15 inch 1.5 GHz, iMac

Welcome to Mac-Forums, Tom. I hope you enjoy your experience here.

Before I start helping the both of you, I'll have to tell Tom something: Don't hijack threads. Tom, I'd recommend you start your own, and don't double post. Thanks!

Tom, for your problem, it appears that your power button may be stuck or sticky. Make sure it's coming all the way down and all the way back up, and it's flush with the surface of the plastic, and not recessed. The bip I'm afraid could be a HDD failure. Take it to your local Apple Store or call Apple to have them send a box.
QUOTE Thanks
Soulwar

Soulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really niceSoulwar is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac 17" 1Ghz G4  iPhone 3G  10.5.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom2008 View Post
Hi there!

All of a sudden my Mac is not working, I turn it on this morning and the screen went light grey as it is when you start up, but got stuck and start making a repetitive weird sound like a bip, and the flashing light on the right bottom it's flashing intermitent.

It makes the sound like when you turn it on, but afterwards it gets stuck and start with this weird sound and the light.

I already try by pulling out the battery and pressing the buttoms command+option+p+r all together.

Any advice?
The flashing light and a beeping sound would indiate a problem with the ram.
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303083

When all else fails, try everything!
The Rep System and you.
Life's a joke...If you're not laughing, then you didn't get it.

June 2008

QUOTE Thanks
omax

omax is on a distinguished road

Hello,

Although my macbook doens't turn on as it written in the subject in this tread I have different situation:
suddenly after an less than hour of using macbook with battery it turned off and doesn't turn on again when pressing power button. No lights, no sound, anything (also tried with plugging it in into the electrical outlet without battery and checked battery in another macbook which wasn't the problem).

Any ideas why it doens't turn on again? Mabook was bought just last year (brought from other country) and I don't have any shops around
QUOTE Thanks
Sadeki

Sadeki is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by omax View Post
Hello,

Although my macbook doens't turn on as it written in the subject in this tread I have different situation:
suddenly after an less than hour of using macbook with battery it turned off and doesn't turn on again when pressing power button. No lights, no sound, anything (also tried with plugging it in into the electrical outlet without battery and checked battery in another macbook which wasn't the problem).

Any ideas why it doens't turn on again? Mabook was bought just last year (brought from other country) and I don't have any shops around
Same thing here BUT if I put my ear in my mac while pressing the power button it makes a lil ticking sound : / (no joke by the way) tried evrything but aside from that sound nothing...
QUOTE Thanks
edup_pt

edup_pt is on a distinguished road

Hello All,

After reading the post of omax i can explain the noise. The noise that you are hearing is the van starting working. I know this because its happening with me at this moment.

In resume what is happening i dont know but what i know is that the computer trys to start (i see the two vans moving) but it stops in a second... and it doesnt turn on.
Anyone Can help me? Omax did you solve the problem?

Thanks

Eduardo
QUOTE Thanks
edup_pt

edup_pt is on a distinguished road

I've tried this but nothing works: Troubleshooting a MacBook, MacBook Air or MacBook Pro that won't turn on
QUOTE Thanks
MacTable

MacTable is on a distinguished road

Hi, I had this problem recently and tried almost the same things you did. Then it occurred to me that it could be linked to the RAMs. I opened the macbook and found a dry white thing like some kind of leakage on the metal contacts of the RAMs. I cleaned that up and reseated them and the macbook started normally. I hope this can help.
QUOTE Thanks
gerlt

gerlt is on a distinguished road

Had the same issue! Does anyone else have success when removing the battery completely, leaving it out and starting the macbook / macbook pro with ac power? Mine is working fine like this but fails as soon as I install any battery. Have tried multiple, some from functioning laptops so I know its not the battery!
QUOTE Thanks
tykeeg97

tykeeg97 is on a distinguished road

My mac won't turn on either. I hold the button and the fan turns on then it makes a click sound coming from the dvd player. i have tried all the things on the apple website but nothing works. anybody got some tips???? i could really used them.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Switching Drives from a Macbook Pro 13 to a 15 Questions | external screen resolution problems »