New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Add a second hard drive to your MacBook Pro

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

MCE Tech OptiBay

Replaces the DVD drive to add a second internal hard drive to your MacBook Pro. Only affects battery life by 10-15% and can spin the second drive down when not in use. Useful if you need added capacity.

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

holy cow, look at those prices.

id be interested in just the connector for the internal, and get my own drive for that kinda money.

yummy, internal raid

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks
kaidomac

kaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nicekaidomac is just really nice
Mac Specs: G4 Cube

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgeier82 View Post
holy cow, look at those prices.

id be interested in just the connector for the internal, and get my own drive for that kinda money.

yummy, internal raid
I called; they said they do not and will not sell the drive bay separately. Bummer! The guy I talked to also said that as far as he knows, 160gb is the largest PATA drive available - only the SATA drives go higher. I was hoping for a 200gb 7200rpm SATA and a 250gb 5400rpm PATA. D'oh

Mac Sites - down for reconstruction
QUOTE Thanks
TheStranger55

TheStranger55 is on a distinguished road

Well opening up a mac book pro to install a hd will void your warranty. If I take the drive to the apple store and paid someone to do it for me then will my warranty still be valid?
QUOTE Thanks
Robzilla

Robzilla is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: MacBook Pro 17" 10.4.8, G4 "Graphite" 10.4.8

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger55 View Post
Well opening up a mac book pro to install a hd will void your warranty. If I take the drive to the apple store and paid someone to do it for me then will my warranty still be valid?
I doubt they'd do that until the warranty was up anyway. You could always call and check.
QUOTE Thanks
christm

christm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the roughchristm is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: ibook g4, imac 2ghz c2d, mbp 2.4ghz c2d - 10.5.1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheStranger55 View Post
if the people from that service (the website) do it then they may be trained so that it doesnt affect the warrenty.

but yes you would have to check.
QUOTE Thanks
kgeier82

kgeier82 is a jewel in the roughkgeier82 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MBP 2.4/2GB/200HD/256 8600gt

since u have to remove the superdrive, i think once thats done, your warranty is flat!

2.4ghz Unibody | Hitachi 320GB 7200 | 256MB 9600gt
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Glossy vs. Matte | Logic board broken? »