New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Trackpad and keyboard no longer work..

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

All of a sudden today my keyboard and trackpad suddenly ceased to function. I have no explanation for this, as I was not engaging in any activity that is unusual or outside the bounds of what I ordinarily use my computer for. I was simply surfing the web and listening to music when out of nowhere I could no longer control anything. The power button still works, and I used it to force shut down the computer and reboot, which did not solve the problem. My bluetooth keyboard and mouse work fine, as do their USB equivalents, and I can't explain why this would happen. Any ideas?

And by the way, my computer is no longer eligible for warranty repair or replacement, and I do not have Applecare.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

Ive had this happen to me on a powerbook and my friend just had the one on his macbook go out, you need a new keyboard/trackpad. The way they are made if one goes out, the other stops working and the good news is that your logic board is fine because the usb mouse/keyboard work.

So basically you either need to buy a keyboard from a place that sells them and replace it yourself, or take it to apple and pay to have them replace it. I dont think there is anyway to fix this other than replacing it.
QUOTE Thanks
narf1899

narf1899 is a jewel in the roughnarf1899 is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: iMac 20" C2D 2.4 ghz 2gb iMac 20" C2D 2GB 256MB Graphics Macbook C2D 2GB Powermac G4 Dual 450

i would suggest a USB mouse and keyboard for a while...if the problem doesn't go away......:/

iMac Aluminum 20" 2.4 ghz 2gb RAM 300gb HD
iMac 20" Core2duo 2gb 250gb
Macbook White Core2duo 2gb 80gb
Powermac G4 dual 450
QUOTE Thanks
rift0065

rift0065 is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: Macbook Pro 2.16 Ghz C2D, 2 Gigs RAM and Macbook 2 Ghz CD 1 Gig RAM

Where can I buy a new keyboard and trackpad? I have also been having problems with my optical drive, so if possible I would like to replace that as well since I will have to open the case to replace the keyboard. Is there a reliable used parts seller online that could give me a reasonable price? Thanks for the replies.
QUOTE Thanks
PunkRockTuba

PunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nicePunkRockTuba is just really nice
Mac Specs: 17" MacBook Pro, 8GB iPhone

This place has parts for all macs and they have how to guides to do everything, so this should help with replacing/fixing anything you want.

http://www.ifixit.com

Im not sure of other places that sell mac parts because ive never looked for them, but im sure somebody on here will know of a few. I looked at the keyboard installation and it looks like a pretty simple thing to do, aside from taking out a bunch of screws.
QUOTE Thanks
macpwns

macpwns has a spectacular aura about

My trackpad is actually giving out too :S its kinda frustrating...sometimes it works, sometimes it does. if im using a finger to move my cursor around, sometimes it all of a sudden stops, and goes into the two finger scrolling mode...Its only been around 7 1/2 - 8 months since ive had my macbook...any suggestions?

Edit: I'm using a mouse, but sometimes when i need to use my trackpad this happens
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« New MBP Overheating | Which lock? »