New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Help! MacBook to Tv, Picture perfect, but no sound!

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

MacPeterBristol

MacPeterBristol is on a distinguished road

Okay, i have my macbook connected to my hdtv with hdmi cables, the video shows great using dual and mirroring monitors but i can't get the sound to work if my life depended on it!

Please help me!!
QUOTE Thanks
MacPeterBristol

well the sound comes from macbook, but not tv.
QUOTE Thanks
Kash

Kash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant futureKash has a brilliant future
Mac Specs: Black Macbook C2D 2GHz 3GB RAM 250GB HD iPhone 4 iPad 3G

The reason you can't get sound coming out of your TV is because you haven't hooked up the Macbook's sound port to the TV. The video out on the Macbook is just that, video.

Check to see whether your TV accepts a 3.5mm audio jack, the type that's on headphones. If so, then all you need is a simple male-to-male 3.5mm cable (you can pick them up real cheap at local electronics stores). Connect one end to your Macbook's headphone jack and the other to your TV.

Now, I know that the Macbook also offers optical audio out, but I'm not sure how one would go about hooking that up. Perhaps somebody else can shed some light on it.

June 2007
July 2009
QUOTE Thanks
MacPeterBristol

ahh, so i need 2 cables?

thanks!
QUOTE Thanks
flilow06

flilow06 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MBP 2.2ghz SR!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kash View Post
Check to see whether your TV accepts a 3.5mm audio jack, the type that's on headphones. If so, then all you need is a simple male-to-male 3.5mm cable (you can pick them up real cheap at local electronics stores). Connect one end to your Macbook's headphone jack and the other to your TV.
If I'm not mistaken the better route would be to buy a Y-Audio to minijack connection. 3.5mm output on one side will go to your Mac's "headphone connection spot" and Left and Right audio inputs go to TV... like this.

If you want higher fidelity sound, as Kash said you could hook up a fiber optic cable... assuming your TV has the connection, or you have a capable receiver, you would need this ------> http://www.xtrememac.com/audio/av_cables/toslink/
It includes a 3.5mm adapter!!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Display problem - Help | How Many times »