New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

MacBook Pro - Connect a Mac Mini to a Macbook Pro?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

Charlotte_RG

Charlotte_RG is on a distinguished road

Hi

I have a Macbook Pro and I recently got a Mac Mini as a present (the person that gave me won it in a competition so she could give it to me because she knew I loved them so much and always wish I had one, and i couldn't say no to it and now i have one!) However, I cannot afford to buy external screens right now and a Mac Mini without a screen is pretty useless. My question is (and please don't laugh as this is probably stupid, but I know almost nothing about computers) is it possible to connect my Mac Mini to my Macbook Pro and kind of use the Macbook pro as an external screen? Or switch from one computer to the other the same way it switches users on the Macbook Pro?

Thanks

CS
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

The only thing that I can think of that would kind of help you would be to just use VNC remote desktop.

Check out Vine Server:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/osxvnc/

and
Chick of the VNC
http://sourceforge.net/projects/cotvnc/

You'll need to borrow a monitor to set that up though.

One more thing, you could just enable secure shell access, but you would have to be pretty elite with the command line to make that worthwhile.
QUOTE Thanks
Charlotte_RG

Charlotte_RG is on a distinguished road

Hey

Thanks so say i borrow a screen from my neighbour, can I just use it to set that up and then I don't need the screen anymore in the future and can use Macbook pro as an external screen for Macmini from there on?

Thanks

CS
QUOTE Thanks
snoslicer8

snoslicer8 has a spectacular aura about
Mac Specs: 15" Unibody MBP 2.4 Ghz C2D, 2 GB RAM, 250 GB HDD, 320 GB Time Machine HDD, 1 TB Ext Media Drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlotte_RG View Post
Hey

Thanks so say i borrow a screen from my neighbour, can I just use it to set that up and then I don't need the screen anymore in the future and can use Macbook pro as an external screen for Macmini from there on?

Thanks

CS
That's not quite what he's saying. If I understand correctly, what you're saying is you want to use the Mac Mini, keyboard, and mouse to control your user account on the Mac Mini, but see it show up on the MacBook Pro?

If this is the case, a VNC client/server setup won't work, as this is a way to remotely control a machine...say if you wanted to use the MacBook Pro's screen AND keyboard and mouse to control the Mac Mini.

I say the best way for you to do what you're trying to accomplish is find a zero-latency video capture card (USB, obviously), plug it into your MacBook Pro, then output the video from your Mac Mini to this plug. That way, you don't run into the network latency issues that you would with a VNC client/server setup.

A good zero latency video capture setup would be the El Gato EyeTV Hybrid. Though a little on the pricey side ($150 on Apple.com), it also is a dual-mode (Cable and HDTV OTA) TV tuner with award winning TV Guide software. Kind of a two-fer.

Good luck!

MacBook Air Unibody Core i5 1.8 GHz, 4 GB RAM, 128 GB SSD, iPhone 4S 32 GB White
QUOTE Thanks
mynameis

mynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nicemynameis is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoslicer8 View Post
A good zero latency video capture setup would be the El Gato EyeTV Hybrid. Though a little on the pricey side ($150 on Apple.com), it also is a dual-mode (Cable and HDTV OTA) TV tuner with award winning TV Guide software. Kind of a two-fer.
The quality of that picture isn't going to be very good, keep that in mind.
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Sound coming from my Macbook | White or Black MacBook »