New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

How do I upgrade RAM?

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

PrincessM

I have a 15" Powerbook with 256mb of ram and I'm looking to upgrade to maybe two 512 sticks. I don't know if two is necassary, but I am a graphic design student and I run big programs like Photoshop & Illustrator and I need as much ram as I can get I suppose. How do I install the memory? Do I need a certain type of screw driver? Can I have one 256 stick and one 512 stick in the machine?
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

You can have one 256 and one 512 stick to make a total of 768. I currently have 768 in my powerbook.

If your powerbook it like mine, all you need is a small screwdriver (jewelers screwdriver would work too). On my powerbook the memory is located under the keyboard. You must left out the keyboard to install the memory.

You can check Apple's site for installing memory or google it.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
TylerMoney

the aluminum powerbooks have the memory in the back..don't attempt to take your keyboard off if you have one..there is a retangular plaate of the bottom of your computer, not far from the battery.....unscrew it, and vualla. there are easy intructions in your booklet that came with your computer too.
QUOTE Thanks
rman

rman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud ofrman has much to be proud of
Mac Specs: 2 x 3.0GHz Quad-Core, 6GB OS X 10.6.8 | 15in MacBook Pro 2.2GHz OS X 10.6.8 | 64GB iPad 2 WiFi

I should have mention that I am talking about a Ti PowerBook. I did not know Apple changed the layout.

Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, It's about learning to dance in the rain!
QUOTE Thanks
richiestang78

I have 1Gb of ram in mine and it was easy to install. Dont be afraid to press firmly until it clicks in. Also it is really hard if you have big fingers
QUOTE Thanks
PrincessM

Thanks guys... I have the aluminum Pb. So do you think 768 would be good enough for running atleast 2 big programs at once?

Also, is it true the new powerbooks don't allow 2 memory sticks of different size (like a 256 and a 512 like I plan on having)?
QUOTE Thanks
witeshark

witeshark will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: G4 1Ghz OS X 10.4.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessM
Thanks guys... I have the aluminum Pb. So do you think 768 would be good enough for running atleast 2 big programs at once?

Also, is it true the new powerbooks don't allow 2 memory sticks of different size (like a 256 and a 512 like I plan on having)?
Quite sure 768 is potent enough for that idea. Sticks of different size are no problem if they are Mac compatible
QUOTE Thanks
genx

where does everyone suggest getting their memory from. I'd like to upgrade as well. Right now I've got the 256 built in and another 256 chip. I'd like to bump it up all the way to a 1 gig stick. Any suggestions?
QUOTE Thanks
lzasitko

I have a 12" aluminum PowerBook (latest specs). As far as I am aware all the PowerBooks have some memory on board and one slot. In my case I can add 1gig of ram (I have added 512 meg) maximum and with the on board makes 1.25gig.

Apple has always been conservative about maximum ram. For example I have a Clamshell iBook SE 366 and I have also added 512 to it. Apple says the max for the Clamshells is 256 meg but I have not had any problem with the 512. So even though Apple says max is 512 you may be able to actually use 1gig without problems.

There are several places to get ram. Cruicial has a good reputation. When I bought mine I bought it from the local Apple dealer and in checking I did not pay much more than any of the online stores. Check prices in any case. Advantage to dealing local is that in some cases (like me) they installed it and tested to make sure that it was alright.
QUOTE Thanks
Osiris22x

Osiris22x will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: 15" MacBook Pro, 13" MacBook Black, 15" iMac G4, 24" iMac (soon!)

Your Powerbook only has 1 slot to add RAM, so be aware of that. As for size, you can put any size chip up to 1 gig that you want, and it does not have to match the 256 MB that's currently built into the motherboard (otherwise you'd max out at 512 MB). Throw a 1 gig stick in there and you'll be set.

As for type, get your RAM from crucial.com. The's the cheapest, best quality, most compatible RAM I've ever seen. They also have a handy guide to make sure that you get the exact right kind of RAM for your system.

Lastly, installing the RAM requires an extremely small phillips screwdriver, and I do mean small. Be VERY careful when you do it because the screws are aluminum and will strip out very easily. Just flip your Powerbook over (after you turn it off) and undo the 4 screws. Remove the plate and install the RAM. The back side of the plate has printed directions on how to install the memory, in case you've never installed a SO-DIMM stick before. Screw it back together and fire it up. It took me about 2 minutes to do mine.

Good luck!
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« Ibook clamshell recommendation | Battery Dies Before It Should: After 20 minutes »