Bought Macbook yesterday - trackpad annoyance
    Hello everyone, this is my first post - I am new to Mac, and am happy to be here.

I bought my first Mac, a Macbook, last night. I love it so far - with one small issue. The trackpad has a tiny, tiny bump on it, probably no bigger than a grain of sand. I have no idea what it is (the small dot looks almost silver in bright light), but I know that it is extremely annoying. It seems like a small issue, but when you're exclusively using the trackpad, it's pretty prominent/aggravating. Since I just bought my Macbook yesterday, what will Apple do to fix this problem? Will they pry it apart, or am I entitled to a new computer? Anyone have any idea what the small bump maybe?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, and thanks in advance!!

Specs:
    2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
    I can't imagine what the bump could be. If I had just bought it last night, I'd take it right back and ask for a replacement! (Assuming you got it from a store and it isn't too far away?!)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
    Girls with macs are so cute.
    "Suffer the little children..." compassion.com

I did buy my Macbook at the local Apple store, which is only about 20 minutes away. I called them this morning and they said to bring it in this afternoon, and they'd do whatever it took to fix the problem. I am already very impressed with the service - what a good investment!

The little bump does seem very strange. At first I thought it was some sort of surface residue but when I looked closely I could tell that it was actually in the trackpad. Of course, this was after I had unsuccessfully attempted to scratch it off - whoops!

Specs:
    2007 iMac 10.6.8 | 2009 MacBook uni 10.6.8 | 2010 MBA 10.8.5 |
    Glad they're gonna help you out!
    C'mon back and give us an update. Welcome to the forum!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
    Girls with macs are so cute.
    "Suffer the little children..." compassion.com

Specs:
    MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD
    Hey katherine welcome to the Forums and Congrats on ur new purchase. Sorry to hear about the trouble with your trackpad but it seems like Apple is gonna come through for u.

When all is said and done I am sure you'll love you MacBook its an amazing Computer. ENJOY

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy to be here, and am excited about my first Mac. Just playing with it last night was a blast - I must admit that at first I got a little frustrated, because my PC-oriented ways of doing things (trying to right click, etc.) are second nature. I had to make myself learn the new Mac tricks, like scrolling with two fingers, using two fingers to right click, and looking for the dock at the top of the screen.

I must say that once I got used to everything, I was very impressed - not only is everything just so much prettier (we girls like things to look nice) but everything is so efficient! The packaging, the use of screen space, the way the programs work - no muss, no fuss. I am an extremely happy buyer, and am convinced that once my trackpad issue is resolved everything will be perfect. I will be sure to give an update once I talk to the Apple folks.

Thanks for the warm welcome - I look forward to learning more about my new computer!

welcome aboard katherine!

i'm glad your problem should be so easy to fix and it wasn't something more user oriented that you didn't like. the macbook has one of the best trackpads i've ever used. and once you get used to the two-finger tap and drag, you'll feel like you've got an arm tied behind your back when you use any other windows laptop.
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Cool
    Hello again everyone -

I am happy to report that I am working from my completely NEW Macbook! I went to the store and explained my problem and was offered a brand new computer right off the bat, without even asking. I admitted that my problem was really a minute one, but the nice gentleman helping me insisted that he wanted me to be a happy customer. So just like that, they swapped it out! I am more than impressed, to say the least.

While I was there I also bought the Marware wrist guard and the trackpad film to keep things clean. The wrist guard is super comfortable (it's really soft) and the trackpad film gives me peace of mind. I also have the iSkin keyboard cover and I really like it. Takes some getting used to, but I'm not as scared about damaging the keys now and I can pound away without fear.

Thanks again everyone for the advice/moral support! I am happy to relate my positive outcome.

awesome! good to hear!
    Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
    ["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]

Specs:
    13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.
    Excellent. It couldn't get much better than that!

..except maybe if they let you keep the old one AND gave you two new ones for no hard feelings sake

Isn't it good to hear when someone receives good service?

All too often it's the complaints we always hear about.

Specs:
    Macky the 21.5'' iMac 2.7ghz i5 8GB, Mr. Pink 64GB iPhone 6, iPad Jr. 16GB Air 2, 13'' MBAir 1.6Ghz
    Welcome Katherine!!

How funny, I have a similar story. When I got my iPod Mini (many moons ago) it had this small black dot on the screen that bothered all the time. Everytime I used my ipod it was there! I thought maybe some dust or something had gotten under the screen. Anywho, this was when the nearest apple store to me was 40 minutes away, I went to see a Genius and although he saw nothing really wrong with my ipod he also offered me a replacement!

Congrats on your new mac!! Make yourself comfortable here!!

Specs:
    macbook white, 2.0 ghz core duo, 2gb ram, 160gb hd, superdrive
    Congrats on the purchase. If you haven't already, make sure you go the system preferences and enable some of the features for the mouse trackpad. It's the best trackpad I've ever used. I love the two finger scroll and secondary (right) click feature.

Specs:
    MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD
    Katherine, it is good to know that you found the switch to Mac a good experience. Not only that Mac computers are user friendly, it is also easy to upgrade. I have just upgraded my RAM to 2GB and installed it myself. MacBook is designed in such a way that you can do it yourself.

cheers

Thread Information