New To Mac-Forums?

Welcome to our community! Join the discussion today by registering your FREE account. If you have any problems with the registration process, please contact us!

Get your questions answered by community gurus Advice and insight from world-class Apple enthusiasts Exclusive access to members-only contests, giveaways and deals

Join today!

Start a Discussion

Mac-Forums Brief

Subscribe to Mac-Forums Brief to receive special offers from Mac-Forums partners and sponsors

Join the conversation RSS
Apple Notebooks Apple's notebook computers including MacBook Pro, MacBook, MacBook Air, PowerBook, and iBook.

Macbook - Bought Macbook yesterday - trackpad annoyance

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

katherine

katherine is on a distinguished road

Hello everyone, this is my first post - I am new to Mac, and am happy to be here.

I bought my first Mac, a Macbook, last night. I love it so far - with one small issue. The trackpad has a tiny, tiny bump on it, probably no bigger than a grain of sand. I have no idea what it is (the small dot looks almost silver in bright light), but I know that it is extremely annoying. It seems like a small issue, but when you're exclusively using the trackpad, it's pretty prominent/aggravating. Since I just bought my Macbook yesterday, what will Apple do to fix this problem? Will they pry it apart, or am I entitled to a new computer? Anyone have any idea what the small bump maybe?

Sorry for the barrage of questions, and thanks in advance!!
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

I can't imagine what the bump could be. If I had just bought it last night, I'd take it right back and ask for a replacement! (Assuming you got it from a store and it isn't too far away?!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
katherine

I did buy my Macbook at the local Apple store, which is only about 20 minutes away. I called them this morning and they said to bring it in this afternoon, and they'd do whatever it took to fix the problem. I am already very impressed with the service - what a good investment!

The little bump does seem very strange. At first I thought it was some sort of surface residue but when I looked closely I could tell that it was actually in the trackpad. Of course, this was after I had unsuccessfully attempted to scratch it off - whoops!
QUOTE Thanks
iKitten

iKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really niceiKitten is just really nice
Mac Specs: iMac | 2.16 Ghz | 2 GB ram | 232.44 HD | OSX 10.4.11

Glad they're gonna help you out!
C'mon back and give us an update. Welcome to the forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostshadow View Post
Girls with macs are so cute.
"Suffer the little children..." compassion.com
QUOTE Thanks
MinaMACMan

MinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the roughMinaMACMan is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: MacBook, Black, 2.0GHz C2D, 2GB RAMs, 160GB HD

Hey katherine welcome to the Forums and Congrats on ur new purchase. Sorry to hear about the trouble with your trackpad but it seems like Apple is gonna come through for u.

When all is said and done I am sure you'll love you MacBook its an amazing Computer. ENJOY
QUOTE Thanks
katherine

Thanks everyone! I'm very happy to be here, and am excited about my first Mac. Just playing with it last night was a blast - I must admit that at first I got a little frustrated, because my PC-oriented ways of doing things (trying to right click, etc.) are second nature. I had to make myself learn the new Mac tricks, like scrolling with two fingers, using two fingers to right click, and looking for the dock at the top of the screen.

I must say that once I got used to everything, I was very impressed - not only is everything just so much prettier (we girls like things to look nice) but everything is so efficient! The packaging, the use of screen space, the way the programs work - no muss, no fuss. I am an extremely happy buyer, and am convinced that once my trackpad issue is resolved everything will be perfect. I will be sure to give an update once I talk to the Apple folks.

Thanks for the warm welcome - I look forward to learning more about my new computer!
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

welcome aboard katherine!

i'm glad your problem should be so easy to fix and it wasn't something more user oriented that you didn't like. the macbook has one of the best trackpads i've ever used. and once you get used to the two-finger tap and drag, you'll feel like you've got an arm tied behind your back when you use any other windows laptop.

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
katherine

Hello again everyone -

I am happy to report that I am working from my completely NEW Macbook! I went to the store and explained my problem and was offered a brand new computer right off the bat, without even asking. I admitted that my problem was really a minute one, but the nice gentleman helping me insisted that he wanted me to be a happy customer. So just like that, they swapped it out! I am more than impressed, to say the least.

While I was there I also bought the Marware wrist guard and the trackpad film to keep things clean. The wrist guard is super comfortable (it's really soft) and the trackpad film gives me peace of mind. I also have the iSkin keyboard cover and I really like it. Takes some getting used to, but I'm not as scared about damaging the keys now and I can pound away without fear.

Thanks again everyone for the advice/moral support! I am happy to relate my positive outcome.
QUOTE Thanks
eric

eric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond reputeeric has a reputation beyond repute

awesome! good to hear!

Please participate in our Member of the Month polls. Every vote counts! And remember to use the user reputation system!
["Dear Homer, I. O. U. one emergency donut. Signed, Homer." - Note by Homer Simpson]
QUOTE Thanks
walmartconnect

walmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the roughwalmartconnect is a jewel in the rough
Mac Specs: 13'' Macbook w/ 2Ghz Core Duo, 2GB DDR2, 250GB HD, 10.5.4. iPod Touch.

Excellent. It couldn't get much better than that!

..except maybe if they let you keep the old one AND gave you two new ones for no hard feelings sake
QUOTE Thanks
cjay

cjay is a jewel in the roughcjay is a jewel in the rough

Isn't it good to hear when someone receives good service?

All too often it's the complaints we always hear about.
QUOTE Thanks
Netty4mac

Netty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to beholdNetty4mac is a splendid one to behold
Mac Specs: Macky the Macbook Pro 2.3Ghz i5 4GB Ram, Mr.Pink 16GB White iPhone 4

Welcome Katherine!!

How funny, I have a similar story. When I got my iPod Mini (many moons ago) it had this small black dot on the screen that bothered all the time. Everytime I used my ipod it was there! I thought maybe some dust or something had gotten under the screen. Anywho, this was when the nearest apple store to me was 40 minutes away, I went to see a Genius and although he saw nothing really wrong with my ipod he also offered me a replacement!

Congrats on your new mac!! Make yourself comfortable here!!

QUOTE Thanks
King Benny

King Benny is on a distinguished road
Mac Specs: macbook white, 2.0 ghz core duo, 2gb ram, 160gb hd, superdrive

Congrats on the purchase. If you haven't already, make sure you go the system preferences and enable some of the features for the mouse trackpad. It's the best trackpad I've ever used. I love the two finger scroll and secondary (right) click feature.
QUOTE Thanks
hagios1972

hagios1972 will become famous soon enough
Mac Specs: MacBook black, Intel C2D 2GHz, 2GB RAM, 320GB WD Scorpio HD

Katherine, it is good to know that you found the switch to Mac a good experience. Not only that Mac computers are user friendly, it is also easy to upgrade. I have just upgraded my RAM to 2GB and installed it myself. MacBook is designed in such a way that you can do it yourself.

cheers
QUOTE Thanks

Post Reply New Thread Subscribe

« quick qustion about macbook video card | Black or White? »